Experiences with hibernate on 23.10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences with hibernate on 23.10?

From what I've seen online, Ubuntu got rid of hibernate a long time ago because it was hard to get working on all platforms. So people who need this feature are stuck using manual instructions such as this (https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php...-ubuntu-21-10/). (Basically: make your swapfile bigger, and add stuff to GRUB.)

Has anyone tried this on Kubuntu 23.10? Is it stable, or should I use 22.04 instead? Are the instructions I linked to OK, or are different ones needed for Kubuntu 23.10? Any gotchas I should be aware of?

Discussion on this page (https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comme...ernate_button/) mentions problems with hibernate + disk encryption. Has anyone tried the two together? What are the issues? Is it something where I can try it out and test it so I know right away if it's bad (i.e., BEFORE I start putting data on the laptop) or does it bite you at random in the future?

(For all the "why do you want even WANT this?" questions, this is for a laptop that we will take out in public, and not on a daily basis. So, the battery won't keep the sleep state long enough, and always remembering to plug it in when you get home is a pain, not to mention wear on the battery. As for the "wear out the SSD" objections, the old rule of thumb was 10K write cycles for a flash cell. Some manufacturers say they're better now, but even taking the lower figure, that's 30 years worth of nightly hibernates, even if you ignore the drivers spreading things around to different blocks.)

Remember that three years is an eternity in Linux time, usually. Also a single, rando Reddit post with little or no corroboration is not a reliable indicator, even more so from its age.

The general instructions for enabling hibernation on *buntu is still valid, and allows for manual testing.
    I myself have never used hibernation, ever, other than for testing the enablement back in the day. We are talking over well over20 years here (but realistically 12 or so in that space involving laptops) so I am not an expert.
    I have never had an issue with suspend. My current 11 year old laptop on its original battery still gets more than a few days of standby time, but I have no idea any exact figure. Less than a week fore sure, but more than 2 or three days iirc.
    I have had some Chromebooks converted to Linux that definitely have slept for almost a week.
    My own though was that booting from hibernation takes almost as long as a cold boot, so....why not just shut it down, and save the Gb used for swap for more storage - this was before the advent of jumbo drive sizes, for sure.

This is heavily tied to the hardware as much as anything, so only you and maybe others with the exact same system board can really provide any good opinion.

I am sure others will chime in with their own experiences once the holiday is over (mine was yesterday), since mine isn't all that helpful. Basically, try It And See How It Goes

Comment

Well, I had a work laptop 10 years ago that couldn't go more than a day or two on suspend. But that was when all the rage was "OUR laptop is thinner than the competition! [And we won't tell you how much that makes our battery life suck then...]" Maybe RAM trickle rates are better now? There's also the argument about repeatedly trickle-draining the battery reducing battery life, but I guess my argument about SSD could be turned around: if trickle drains your battery in a week then that's 10-20 years of cycles (assuming batteries last 500-1000 cycles).

As for boot times, my drive is a standard disk with a small SSD cache equal to memory size, so presumably the RAM gets written to SSD when Windows hibernates (not sure if the match is intentional but seems logical), so boot from hibernate is probably pretty fast.

Anyway, I'm doing a new install (23.10) but since the installer made me use LVM to get FDE, I don't HAVE to commit to having a large swap area, I can always grow it later if I want to experiment. IOW, I can install now and add hibernate later. Still, I'm just soliciting others' experiences.

Comment

I never had an issue with hibernate but, that is cause I made swap 1.5x my ram. It needed that too because it would memory leak when writing from time to time. Which is what I think was the isssue. So I 32 gigs of ram meant 48gig swap. I never had it go more than 7-8 gigs over when it memory leaked tho. I always have done that tho for pagefile or swap because if you have a game crash, or a virus or Mozilla memory leak it gave you enough time to kill it once computer started acting up.

Comment

At the end of the day, my laptop is shut down and I shut my eyes. I have no real need to let it stay up all night getting into mischief.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
          X