Where is FDE (Full Disk Encryption)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is FDE (Full Disk Encryption)?

I downloaded Kubuntu 23.10 to a USB drive and installed on a laptop. Some Kubuntu pages and posts say FDE is available as an option during install, and the 23.10 announcement says you can have LUKS (standard) or TPM (experimental).

Yet when I went through the installation steps, I didn't see the option anywhere. (Last install-from-scratch I did was 20.04 and I'm pretty sure FDE was available there.) I chose "Normal installation" (actually that was the ONLY choice) with updates checked and third-party software unchecked. On the partitioning page the only mention of encryption was one choice "Guided - use entire disk and set up encrypted LVM" but that doesn't sound like FDE. Going to the manual-partition page didn't reveal any encryption options either (either full or per-partition).

So where are the encryption options in the normal install?

Originally posted by Mister Pi View Post
    Some Kubuntu pages and posts say FDE is available
    Links?

the 23.10 announcement says you can have LUKS (standard) or TPM (experimental).
    Ubuntu (and its new installer) having a feature does not mean that Kubuntu or other Flavours (using the ancient installer) will have equal features, unfortunately.
    There is no mention in Kubuntu's release notes.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ManticMinota...eNotes/Kubuntu

Kubuntu has only had LUKS/LVM for some time now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20231225_142323.png Views:	0 Size:	243.5 KB ID:	675865 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20231225_142554.png Views:	0 Size:	329.5 KB ID:	675866 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20231225_143110.png Views:	0 Size:	459.5 KB ID:	675867
    Last edited by claydoh; Dec 25, 2023, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Oops you're right. If I'm not careful, search engines will tend to drop the K or bring up old pages...

Are you saying that if I want encryption then I need to select the "encrypted LVM" option?

Comment

Oops you're right. If I'm not careful, search engines will tend to drop the K or bring up old pages...

Are you saying that if I want encryption then I need to select the "encrypted LVM" option?
        Yes, unless you set things up manually using another method.

Comment

OK, thanks! I tried that and it works. (My mtab looks like hell but fstab is short and sweet...)

The Kubuntu install instructions (https://userbase.kde.org/Kubuntu/Installation) could have been a little more explicit about each step. For the two LVM options they just point to general pages about LVM. When I started reading those the first time, I thought, "this looks like something I don't need, I just want a standard partition," and it wasn't clear that when you go this route, you ARE getting FDE. Plus, the LVM screen had no instructions, or labels for the two boxes, so I just have to GUESS that those were for setting the passphrase.

Comment

Working...
          X