Laptop install showing error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop install showing error

Trying to install on my laptop and right before it finishes it says “Executing ‘grub-install /dev/sda’ failed. This is a fatal error.”, tried installing lubuntu but got same results. Any help?

Is this UEFI or bios install?
    A couple things go into bios and turn off fast boot/quick boot and secure boot if they are turned on. and try again.
    Give us a little more info about your machine also. Make Model ram graphics care, Etc.
    Does the live mode work ok?
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
      Is this UEFI or bios install?
      A couple things go into bios and turn off fast boot/quick boot and secure boot if they are turned on. and try again.
      Give us a little more info about your machine also. Make Model ram graphics care, Etc.
      Does the live mode work ok?
      Live boot wise, yeah I can use it pretty well unless it goes to Lock Screen lol.
      also I think it’s a bios install? Not really sure which it is. I’m installing off a usb.
      im using a Toshiba laptop but at the moment I don’t think I can check specs unless the live boot has a way for me to check.
      in bios secure boot is off but I see no option for the other one.

Comment

One trick when this happens is to install Kubuntu without connecting to the internet. When connected, it downloads a few more current things, particularly grub packages, which seem prone to install failures in the live environment for some people, sometimes. Being disconnected, it uses only things from the ISO image. Simply un-checking the "install updates' option does not usually prevent these specific packages from being downloaded and used.

Lubuntu and Kubuntu share the same installer iirc. The components involved are definitely identical.

Comment

Originally posted by af77826 View Post
          {…}
          im using a Toshiba laptop but at the moment I don’t think I can check specs […]
          If claydoh 's suggestion does not work: type/model of your Toshiba laptop would also be a start…

OT:

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          […] Lubuntu and Kubuntu share the same installer iirc. The components involved are definitely identical.
          In fact Lubuntu uses the Calamares installer instead of the Ubuntu one.
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 23, 2023, 06:51 PM.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
            But, as I stated, the grub components being downloaded that are causing the error when they mare installed are the same, and I have seen this type of error in other *buntu using calamares, though less often than I have seen it in Ubiquity. In either case, disconnecting from the network seems to be the workaround/cure.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
              If claydoh 's suggestion does not work: type/model of your Toshiba laptop would also be a start…

OT:

It didn’t work sadly, uh and the model is satellite L1BW-B1302 I think
              also tried normal Ubuntu and it did the error again
              Last edited by af77826; Nov 25, 2023, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X