Upgrade no available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade no available

Hi, i can't update from 23.04 because I have 3 packages held (that seems to be the problem) I have them held for a logical reason, the packages are: vivaldi, openvpn and megasync. These packages in their most recent versions cause serious problems.
    Is there a way to upgrade without upgrading these packages?​

• Vivaldi is probably from a PPA (and PPAs will be disabled during the distribution upgrade process anyway and have to be re-enabled manually by you afterwards).
    • The version of openvpn in 23.04 is 2.6.1-1ubuntu1, in 23.10 there is a newer version: 2.6.5-0ubuntu1 - did you check if your problem has been fixed in the latter version?
    • megasync I don't know - probably from another PPA (see above)?
    So AFAIK you will only have to care about openvpn as this is the only official *Ubuntu package of the three.
    And you do have to unhold it, otherwise sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop will not be possible.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 04, 2023, 06:05 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I have unblocked openvpn and the same problem still appears, I have updated vivaldi and the same error "you must update all packages before updating the system" also appears.
      Finally I updated megasync and having everything updated it let me update the system to 23.10.

PS, yes, openvpn (the last version) for some reason does not connect to the vpn and his happens since version upper to 2.4.7 which I will have to delete everything and reinstall this version.

thanks for everythink​

Comment

Glad it finally worked.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

The openvpn problem is actually in the network manager plugin, for some OpenVPN set ups. It's been a problem for years. I dived in to the details and got lost. If one has no clout with the administrators setting up the connection, who set it up for hundreds of Windows users, then working out what to change so that network manager, OpenVPN, and their servers are happy is too hard, though there have been some reports of success.

I keep the deb for Jammy and reinstall it after it's necessary to remove (let go?) the hold to do a release upgrade. It's worked so far. The deb is openvpn_2.5.5-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
          X