Teal screen with thick black bar after installing and rebooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teal screen with thick black bar after installing and rebooting

Since I am trying to fix my main computer then I thought I'd see if I can get this potatoe X potatoes computer to at least let me watch Netflix and use these forums without having to resort to using my Kindle Fire as I am now. I got the teal screen when I tried the normal install. I found if I used safe graphics mode then it would work. It was annoying having to use tab and spacebar to get to the continue button and simulate a left mouse click - us older guys know a few tricks that the younger generations may not -, as you can't scroll to it and the installer doesn't display everything at such low resolution. The devs need to fix that. Maybe 1024 X 768 would work better for safe graphics mode. How can I try switching graphics modes to see if the display fixes?

Why is this forum asking for poll answers when I didn't select a poll?
    I didn't make a poll.
    0%
    this is an error
    0%
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

I only have 120 GB on this computers SSD. I checked but the Kubuntu 23.10 installer doesn't have a minimal install option. I can't use the SSDs from my other computer because this is a small case and doesn't have room. I would have to have the case open with the other SSDs outside the case.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

I am going to goto distrowatch.com and see if there a distro that has a smaller installed size. I hope my Kindle Fire can download it.

Comment

A fresh install will be under 15Gb. Lemme look...... my fresh virtual machine is 12. That is plenty of room. I often run on 64Gb drives, no issue

as an aside, The "minimal" install actually "removes" stuff *after* the installation, since the process is actually copying a compressed OS image (also used for the live session) to disk, as opposed to manually installing thousands of packages.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
          I can't use the SSDs from my other computer because this is a small case and doesn't have room. I would have to have the case open with the other SSDs outside the case.
          I have used double sided tape, or velcro, to attach drives to side/top panels, behind front panels, and to other drives., I will wager you might be able to make it fit somewhere

Comment

I suspect the video driver is borked as Drivermanger shows a completely blank list. Not even the Navoo driver shows up! I tried the terminal but it claims there are no drivers to load and that I have installed all proprietary drivers. How do I fix the drivers? all I can do is boot to recovery mode in grub2 and do a CTRL d and then a normal boot which puts me in 640 X 480 resolution!

Comment

steven@steven-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
              01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 580
              ] (rev a1)
              steven@steven-desktop:~$

Any other commands I should try?
              Oops, I remembered wrong I Thought it was quotes that made the mess. Sorry.
              Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 18, 2024, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I found a cople more commands on the www.

steven@steven-desktop:~$ find /dev -group video
                /dev/fb0
                steven@steven-desktop:~$ glxinfo | grep -i vendor
                server glx vendor string: SGI
                client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
                Vendor: Mesa (0xffffffff)
                OpenGL vendor string: Mesa

Comment

This might be better:

steven@steven-desktop:~$ lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
                  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 580
                  ] (rev a1)
                  Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd GF110 [GeForce GTX 580]
                  Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau
                  01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 High Definition Audio Control
                  ler (rev a1)

Comment

My /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d is empty! Could this be a clue?

Comment

The last driver from Nvidia that supports your Nvidia GTX 580 GPU is the 390.x series - so in theory you would have to install the nvidia-driver-390, e.g. with sudo ubuntu-drivers install nvidia:390 .

-> BUT AFAIK this driver does not exist anymore for Kubuntu 23.10 and later!

I suggest to use Kubuntu 22.04 LTS instead and sudo ubuntu-drivers install nvidia:390 there (and possibly add the Kubuntu Backports and Kubuntu Backports Extra PPAs to be up-to-date on the Plasma side of things - see KDE Plasma 5.27.11 available in Kubuntu Backports Extra).

Or if you insist on using Kubuntu 23.10 : try sticking with the open source Nouveau driver instead (and next time buy e.g. AMD instead of Nvidia ).
                      Perhaps Nouveau will not work, though - hence this thread…

PS: The Nvidia 390.x driver is also not part of the Kubuntu 24.04 LTS repositories btw. - the oldest one there is nvidia-driver-460.
                      So for a fitting proprietary Nvidia driver you will indeed have to install either Kubuntu 22.04 LTS itself or something based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS like e.g. TUXEDO OS 2 (for Plasma), Zorin OS 17.x (for GNOME) or Linux Mint 21.x (for Cinnamon)…
                      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 19, 2024, 05:27 AM. Reason: added PS
                      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                        The last driver from Nvidia that supports your Nvidia GTX 580 GPU is the 390.x series - so in theory you would have to install the nvidia-driver-390, e.g. with sudo ubuntu-drivers install nvidia:390 .

-> BUT AFAIK this driver does not exist anymore for Kubuntu 23.10 and later!

I suggest to use Kubuntu 22.04 LTS instead and sudo ubuntu-drivers install nvidia:390 there (and possibly add the Kubuntu Backports and Kubuntu Backports Extra PPAs to be up-to-date on the Plasma side of things - see KDE Plasma 5.27.11 available in Kubuntu Backports Extra).

Or if you insist on using Kubuntu 23.10 : try sticking with the open source Nouveau driver instead (and next time buy e.g. AMD instead of Nvidia ).
                        Perhaps Nouveau will not work, though - hence this thread…

PS: The Nvidia 390.x driver is also not part of the Kubuntu 24.04 LTS repositories btw. - the oldest one there is nvidia-driver-460.
                        So for a fitting proprietary Nvidia driver you will indeed have to install either Kubuntu 22.04 LTS itself or something based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS like e.g. TUXEDO OS 2 (for Plasma), Zorin OS 17.x (for GNOME) or Linux Mint 21.x (for Cinnamon)…
                        Looks like NVIDIA depreciated my card. That's the trouble with having to use a closed-source driver. I hope #spacex gets Starship developed by the end of the decade. Hopefully, the Mars colony gets made in the early 2030s then maybe they outlaw closed-source drivers so problems like these get minimized. It won't be Space X that builds the colony since they are just a transport company. I have a 1060 6 GB in my broken computer maybe I can use that. Since I can't find a 8 pin 4 X 4 PCIe cable that fits. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...-by-cmos/page3 Read comment #31

Comment

It just occurred to me. Why is it that when I open Driver Manager and it populates the list why are the zero drivers listed? You would think that at least the Nouveau driver​ would be listed.

Comment

That is because the Nouveau kernel module and Mesa are already installed by default.

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                            […] I have a 1060 6 GB in my broken computer maybe I can use that. […]
                            Or just use Kubuntu 22.04 LTS…​
                            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 19, 2024, 11:59 AM.
                            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                              That is because the Nouveau kernel module and Mesa are already installed by default.

Or just use Kubuntu 22.04 LTS…​
                              I just tried Kubuntu 22.04 and it still has the same teal screen problem so using 22.04 isn't the answer. Since I tried 22.04 and didn't install it then the hard drive still had 23.10 so I booted that so I could use the computer. I still have to use safe mode to load the desktop. I will try changing the graphics cards tomorrow. Ubuntu core just isn't compatible with the GTX 580.

Comment

Working...
                              X