No announcement yet.

Discover fails to update a package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 23.10 live USB would not boot so I had to use boot repair's disk utility. I deleted the boot partition and deleted all the partitions on dev/sdb and told boot repair to use all of dev/sdb for the boot partition. When I reboot the CMOS sees dev/sdb but grub II can't so no kernel can boot. After I # out the reference to the UUID for dev/sdb I find I can only boot to the rescue mode kernel. No matter whether I install any NVIDIA driver my highest resolution is 1024x768 after rebooting into rescue mode going into CTRL D and selecting continue normal boot. I also discovered that the swap file no longer works. I had to mark it ignored in fstab to get booted. the system log says that the swap file can not be copy-on-write. Probably got put on a BTRFS.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
      ... the system log says that the swap file can not be copy-on-write. Probably got put on a BTRFS.
      On a btrfs, a swapfile should have the "attribute" No_COW. You can check with lsattr. For example, a swap file created by the 24.04 installer, on a volume mounted on /mnt/main:
      Code:
      $ sudo lsattr -l /mnt/main/swapfile
      /mnt/main/@swap/swapfile     No_COW, Dont_Compress
      I don't know how you got a copy-on-write swap file; when I tried a 24.04 install last week, the installer crashed trying to run a chattr command on the swap file.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

• oshunluvr
        oshunluvr commented
        Editing a comment
        They fixed the chattr thing last time I did an install but the network main.py problem was still there. I believe that was using KDEneon 03/28 iso

• jlittle
        jlittle commented
        Editing a comment
        Just tried a Noble install and hit the chattr error. I am frustrated by calamares in that I can't tell it what to do about swap; if I could I'd tell it "Don't!" and thus work around the error.
    Working...
    X