A flash drive's contents and Dolphin's split screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] A flash drive's contents and Dolphin's split screen

I want to get a flash drive's contents on one side of Dolphin's split screen. I have had no success after several tries. I know it can be done because I've seen it done, but every time I try it the split screen disappears. I'm open for suggestions.

You just have to change the path in one of the panes as shown below.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240208_130443-1.png Views:	0 Size:	171.6 KB ID:	676732
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My flash drives typically show up under the Dolphin Places column, at the bottom. Click on the Split button, then click on the flash drive, and it shows in the split view.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

And maybe this will help, some details behind what has been said above:

Open Dolphin.
        Click on Split (upper right).
        Now you see two panes open.
        Let's say you want a certain "place" in the right pane.
        Click in that right pane anywhere (but not on a folder or a file).
        Now, over on the far left of Dolphin, find that "place" you want to be in the right pane, and click on it. Now the right pane is ready.
        Next ...
        Let's say you want your flash drive in the left pane. Do the same thing: click anywhere in the left pane, then over on the far left of Dolphin, find your flash drive (should be down at the bottom somewhere), and click on that flash drive. Now the left pane has your flash drive in it.​
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Qgmike, I did what you said to do, and it did not work. I will tell you exactly what I did. Step 1: launch Dolphin. Step 2: Split the screen. The same 12 items now are in each of the 2 panes. I want the flash drive's contents to appear in the right-hand pane; so (Step 3) I clicked in the right-hand pane in a place that is empty. Step 4: I clicked on the flash drive's icon (which is on the screen's far left-hand side just above the Trash icon). Result: No change in the screen (i.e., the flash drive's contents did not appear on the screen).

I did those 4 steps twice, and I got the same result both times.

Comment

Hmmm. I just did that same experiment here, with a flash drive, and no problems.
            If you plug your flash drive into a port on your computer, do you get a pop-up notification, where you can open it (using file manager), or safely remove it?
            If not, then maybe this is a matter of ownership and permissions.
            If you can see that flash drive in Dolphin, you can right-click on it, select Properties, and explore the ownership and permissions.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by wtb32141 View Post
              Step 4: I clicked on the flash drive's icon (which is on the screen's far left-hand side just above the Trash icon).
              That's not the place (Panel) to be clicking on. The USB drive should be at the bottom of the far left pane of Dolphin. That's the one you click on.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Maybe that's the problem, Snowhog! I thought he meant LEFT side = left side of Dolphin, but looks like maybe he meant LEFT of the panel tray, near the Trash ...
                Good catch. Let's hope that does the trick!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  That's not the place (Panel) to be clicking on. The USB drive should be at the bottom of the far left pane of Dolphin. That's the one you click on.
                  Yep, exactly what I said!
                  My flash drives typically show up under the Dolphin Places column, at the bottom. Click on the Split button, then click on the flash drive, and it shows in the split view.
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Yes, jglen said it right, then I said what jglen said, but wtb misunderstood what I said, and now Snowhog is redirecting wtb's attention to the correct place he should be clicking.

Comment

The mistake I made is one that a novice would make, and I'm no novice. Shame on me! Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

You're welcome!

And no worries

Comment

The mistake I made is one that a novice would make, and I'm no novice. Shame on me! Thank you very much for your help.
                          Ha! If we made a thread on THAT subject, everyone telling about their latest "I-know-better" goof-ups like that, it would run on so long that Snowhog would have to move it to the Rambling Corner! LOL (I can certainly relate! )

Comment

Working...
                          X