Group 1001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group 1001

After having some trouble with Tuxedo os I decided to reinstall Kubuntu 23.10 now I notice that 90% of my home folder files have group permissions set to 1001. When I search /etc/passwd for 1001 I find nothing. Anybody know what's going on?

Did you install Kubuntu over Tuxedo, keeping/not formatting the /home directory by chance?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

1001 is the GID usually used as the Group ID for the first user account. This is correct, in terms of the ID number. The User ID (UID) should also be 1001. These are independent of the actual names.

I am going to guess that your $HOME is a separate partition, or restored, and may have been using a different username?

You should be able to remedy this by chown-ing your files to both your username and group name (normally the same as the username):

sudo chown -R username:username /home/username

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        1001 is the GID usually used as the Group ID for the first user account
        Are you sure of that? On my Kubuntu 23.10, the GID for my user; the only one; is 1000.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No. But the chown will set it correctly in either case.
          Different distros may use different default numbers by default, as well, or the account may not have been the first one created on a previous install (and thus have a higher UID and GID number)

Comment

Thank you claydoh and Snowhog. Yes I installed Kubuntu while keeping the /home directory and for some reason most files have 1001 as group and $USER as user. 1000 is the user number btw. I think I'm going to follow claydoh's suggestion and run sudo chown -R username:username /home/username​. I had thought of doing this but wanted to run it past you guys to make sure it wouldn't get into trouble.

Comment

If you are unsure, try a test on a single directory instead of the whole $HOME

Comment

I've already ran it claydoh rebooted and see no problems. Before running it I ran find /home/randy -group root and find /home/randy -group mythtv and found nothing. I think I'm good. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  1001 is the GID usually used as the Group ID for the first user account.
                  It's usually the group ID of the second user account, though one could say the first added user account.

IME seeing user or group IDs instead of names occurs when copying files from other installs.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                  X