Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New built - GPU driver problems

All,

I am I just built a new computer, after many years. I want to dual boot with Windows, so Secure boot and TPM are pushing me back to Kubuntu after a few years bouncing between distros.

The issue I'm having is my GPU, XFX RX 6700, is creating problems. The first issue is a hub 8-0:1.0: config failed, hub doesn't have any ports! (err -19). The MOBO has on board HMDI, so I can limp the system through boot. I found a forum with a similar issue and used WGET to download the AMDGPU packet, but it killed the system and now it won't load on either MOBO or GPU inputs.

I have tried Kubuntu 22.10, but I'm wondering if an older version would work better. I've been using MX Linux for about a year or two, so I am out of practice with some of the Kubuntu drivers/systems. Any insight and help is appreciated.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1481...n-ubuntu-22-04

I also found this link, but it goes a little out of my knowledge, so maybe this is the answer? Might just need a hand to use the info.

https://linux-hardware.org/?id=pci:1002-73df-1002-0e36

System info:
    CPU - AMD 7800x3D
    GPU - XFX RX 6700 (non XT) NAVI 22
    RAM - 32 GB GSKILL DDR5 TRIDENT NEO RGB
    SSD - samsung 870 Evo 500 GB
    ​​​
    Thanks for any and all help!! Happy new year 🎉😁
    ​​

Welcome.

Originally posted by toguro View Post
    […]
    I have tried Kubuntu 22.10, but I'm wondering if an older version would work better.
    […]
    I doubt that.
    Kubuntu 23.10 or TUXEDO OS 2 (did you give that a try?) will be your best bet considering newer hardware and Ubuntu-based distributions with KDE Plasma.
    Otherwise try openSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE Plasma, Arch with KDE Plasma or Fedora KDE Plasma Spin - which all have a bit more recent kernels and Mesa than Kubuntu or TUXEDO OS.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      TUXEDO OS 2 (did you give that a try?)
      Are you paid to be such a shill

I found a forum with a similar issue and used WGET to download the AMDGPU packet,
      The closed-source AMDGPU drivers are meant for workstation use, and are not really useful for most. They are easy to mess up in the install, too.
      Anyone recommending this for normal desktop use is doing a disservice.

The MOBO has on board HMDI, so I can limp the system through boot.
      Have you looked at bios settings related to the on-board graphics, or similar settings? Have you updated the bios?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Are you paid to be such a shill […]
        No, of course not (I wish I were ) - but they use their own modified kernel which supports additional hardware compared to the "standard" Ubuntu kernel. And frankly IMHO it seems to be the best Ubuntu-based distribution with KDE Plasma at the moment apart from Kubuntu and it gets too little attention.

And both Kubuntu 23.10 and TUXEDO OS 2 use a 6.5.x kernel (and if something does not work with 23.10 I would suggest to try TUXEDO OS 2 if you want to keep using a Ubuntu-based distribution).
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jan 01, 2024, 03:57 PM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

All,

Thanks for the insights.

Have you looked at bios settings related to the on-board graphics, or similar settings? Have you updated the bios?
          Yes, the the BIOS is updated with the newest driver.

I will try the latest Kubuntu, if that doesn't work I will give OpenSuse or Arch a try. I can't say I'm very skilled, but I would want to stay with a Debian base - so the commands and structure are similar. I don't want to lose what little background I have 😂.

Too bad about the AMDGPU, I had never used it - thought it was a Kubuntu thing. That said, I thought it was weird to have driver issues at all - I have never had to supplement a driver before. Old hardware has made that part easier, Phenom 955 and 560 Ti have been around for eons.

I will follow up once I give this a shot.
          Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 02, 2024, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Yes, the the BIOS is updated with the newest driver.
            But what about any graphics card settings in the bios?
            What motherboard do you have?
            Can we assume that you have Windows installed and it works fine there?
            (if so, try disabling Windows Startup, which can muck up device statuses and detection in other OSs)
            Is the card seated properly? Are the power cables attached and fully seated on both ends? (this one has bit me on the tush before)

The error message doesn't say much, but it likely is unrelated to the video card, it most likely has to do with the USB on the board, or an attached hub or device.
            Secure boot is not necessarily required for Windows

I have an RX 6650 XT, (navi 23) but on an Intel board, and have zero issues, on 22.04 even.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              But what about any graphics card settings in the bios?
              What motherboard do you have?
              Can we assume that you have Windows installed and it works fine there?
              (if so, try disabling Windows Startup, which can muck up device statuses and detection in other OSs)
              Is the card seated properly? Are the power cables attached and fully seated on both ends? (this one has bit me on the tush before)

The error message doesn't say much, but it likely is unrelated to the video card, it most likely has to do with the USB on the board, or an attached hub or device.
              Secure boot is not necessarily required for Windows

I have an RX 6650 XT, (navi 23) but on an Intel board, and have zero issues, on 22.04 even.
              There are quite a few things new in your post.

The MOBO is a Gigabyte B650 Aero G, I don't recall setting anything up in the BIOS for the video. I can definitely check that!

Yes, I just installed Windows yesterday - apart from a few drivers on install, works well.

Fast start up is disabled.

I had never seen the port error, but it does resolve when I use the on-board - why I thought it was video related.

​​​​

Comment

Kubuntu 23.10 is like beta software.
                I installed it on an old Phenom II X4. I have a Geforce GT8500 512 MB in it and it uses the Nouveau drivers.
                It is not stable. There are graphical glitches. Some text doesn’t render.
                System Monitor looks all corrupt and sometimes the system freezes and the mouse works. I tried both X11 and Wayland mode.

Kubuntu 22.04 is very stable.

As for your link:

No need to install the AMDGPUPRO drivers.
                I installed it months ago and it has a full implementation of Vulkan and the raytracing extensions. I was able to play Quake 2 RTX with my Radeon RX 6800.
                The performance is the same as on Windows.
                The problem is that 2 other games were crashing.

If you run Davinci Resolve, it is good to have it.

Otherwise, just use the driver that comes with Linux.
                Raytracing wortks now with Quake 2 RTX. It doesn’t work in Windows game like Cyberpunk 2077.

I recommend that you use Kubuntu 22.04.​

Comment

Originally posted by vanadiumboy View Post
                  I installed it on an old Phenom II X4. I have a Geforce GT8500 512 MB in it and it uses the Nouveau drivers.
                  System Monitor looks all corrupt and sometimes the system freezes and the mouse works. I tried both X11 and Wayland mode.
                  I'd ask that you be careful here. This MAY be your experience, but it isn't mine (or many others). I'm running 23.10 on my 'ancient' HP Pavilion g7 laptop (Intel(R) i3 Core CPU and Intel(R) HD Graphics processor). 23.10 runs without any problems on that rig when I login using X11. If I switch to Wayland, that's a different matter. Graphics glitches galore there. But with X11, zero issues.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by vanadiumboy View Post

Kubuntu 22.04 is very stable.

As for your link:

No need to install the AMDGPUPRO drivers.
                    I installed it months ago and it has a full implementation of Vulkan and the raytracing extensions. I was able to play Quake 2 RTX with my Radeon RX 6800.
                    The performance is the same as on Windows.
                    The problem is that 2 other games were crashing.

If you run Davinci Resolve, it is good to have it.

Otherwise, just use the driver that comes with Linux.
                    Raytracing wortks now with Quake 2 RTX. It doesn’t work in Windows game like Cyberpunk 2077.

I recommend that you use Kubuntu 22.04.​
                    Sorry for the extended delay, but I think I am heading this route. I can enter Kubuntu via Recovery, but no matter what I do I get a missing port and no video unless I go into it thru the Recovery pathway.

Across several distros, it is such a weird problem. I've never been frustrated with Linux, but this has me heading into Windows nowadays... and that, it not where I want to be.

Comment

Sorry for the extended delay, but I think I am heading this route. I can enter Kubuntu via Recovery, but no matter what I do I get a missing port and no video unless I go into it thru the Recovery pathway.

Across several distros, it is such a weird problem. I've never been frustrated with Linux, but this has me heading into Windows nowadays... and that, it not where I want to be.
                      Have you tried an older kernel?

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X