Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Very long boot time

Hello everyone,

I just installed Kubuntu 23.10 on my new computer. Everything was working fine but my HDMI slot was not working.
    I solved the HDMI problem by deactivating secure boot in the bios. Now I can use my HDMI slot to have another screen.
    Since this modification, I have a problem during the boot : The Kubuntu splashscreen is staying a long time (several minutes) with the message checking system file (in french). After a while, the login screen appears and everything is working fine.
    I deactivated the verification frequence (in fstab) to see if it was the verification but it is not the reason of the delay (interrupting the system file check with ctrl C has no effect either).

I don't know how to see what is delaying the boot sequence. Do you have an idea ?

Thank you in advance.

Tibo

P.S. When I boot on windows (dual boot installed) it is working fine without delay.

System :
    - Lenovo Legion Slim 5 16IRH8
    - Intel® Core™ i7-13700H
    - NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060 8 Go GDDR6

Did you check what happened with something like sudo journalctl -b (press arrow keys to scroll, [q] to exit) or sudo dmesg -T in the Konsole terminal emulator?

You could also remove quiet splash from the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" in /etc/default/grub to permanently see all messages during the boot process. You can use either Kate or a CLI text editor like nano or vim to edit /etc/default/grub.
    I suggest to sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.orig in Konsole before to have a copy of the unmodified file.
    Don't forget to sudo update-grub afterwards.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 24, 2023, 05:00 AM. Reason: additions
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thank you for your answer Schwarzer Kater.

I tried both sudo journalctl -b and sudo dmesg -T but I don't understand what is written

Then I tried to remove quiet splash in grub and when I reboot, the problem didn't appear...

I tried several times and with quiet splash it is very long and without it is very quick... Well, I will let quiet splash disabled ;-)

I don't know what the problem is but at least I can get around it

Thanks again

Comment

Well, that was unexpected… The removal of quiet splash only should have made it possible to read the output at the moment the problem occurs - not to remove the problem itself.
        Did you change /etc/default/grub in any other way or change anything else (e.g. connect or disconnect an external device)?

Perhaps somebody else has an idea?
        But one of the best ways to find the cause for a problem in Linux is screening the aforementioned outputs of journalctl or dmesg.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 24, 2023, 08:22 AM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          Did you change /etc/default/grub in any other way or change anything else (e.g. connect or disconnect an external device)?

But one of the best ways to find the cause for a problem in Linux is screening the aforementioned outputs of journalctl or dmesg.
          No, I did not change anything else in grub. If I activate again the quiet splash, the problem is back. I don't understand either but my knowledge of the system is very poor.

journalctl or dmesg are very interesting and I had a lot of red messages but again, my knowledge is too poor to decrypt anything

Thank you for your time

Comment

Well ! The problem is not really solved. Last boot was quite long and I tried
            Code:
            journalctl
            and I saw that during about 1 min, the system had problem with nvidia...

Any idea ?

Here is a part of the journalctl result :
            déc. 26 14:41:15 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: systemd-timedated.service: Deactivated successfully.
            déc. 26 14:42:14 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
            déc. 26 14:42:14 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM
            déc. 26 14:42:14 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
            déc. 26 14:42:14 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Failed to start systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service - Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:nvidia_0.
            déc. 26 14:42:14 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Starting systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service - Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:nvidia_0...
            déc. 26 14:42:14 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Finished systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service - Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:nvidia_0.
            déc. 26 14:42:16 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: gpu-manager.service: Deactivated successfully.
            Thanks

Comment

So probably an Nvidia driver issue…
              Which driver version do you use? According to Nvidia the most recent driver that supports your Nvidia GeForce RTX 4060 card is 535.113.01.

Comment

So probably an Nvidia driver issue…
                Which driver version do you use? According to Nvidia the most recent driver that supports your Nvidia GeForce RTX 4060 card is 535.113.01.
                Yes, I think I will have to install nvidia driver, I saw a tutorial but it is quite long, I will look at this later...
                I haven't installed any. How to know if I already have a driver ?

Here are my graphic devices :
                thibault@thibault-Legion:~$ lspci |grep -E "VGA|3D"
                00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Raptor Lake-P [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 04)
                01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation AD107M [GeForce RTX 4060 Max-Q / Mobile] (rev a1)

Thx

Comment

Enter sudo ubuntu-drivers install nvidia:535​ in Konsole.
                  And better don't install/use the "535-open" one.
                  Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 26, 2023, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Enter sudo ubuntu-drivers install nvidia:535​ in Konsole.
                    And better don't install/use the "535-open" one.
                    Thank you for your answer, I tried but I had an error message (I didn't write it).

I tried to reinstall the drivers foloming these indications. It worked with 535 drivers but still had the boot issue. Tried with 545 but the computer couldn't boot (stopped during boot sequence). Reinstalled 535 but same problem (stopped during boot sequence after installation).

So I reinstalled completely Kubuntu and nothing else. Here what I have so far :

I can see the nvidia xserver settings.
                    • NVIDIA Driver Version: 535.129.03
                    • Operating System: Linux-Unknown
                    • NV-CONTROL Version: Unknown
                    I dont't know if these "unknown" are normal

So far the boot sequence is fast, I will update the system and see.

If you have an idea for thess "unknown"...
                    Thx again

P.S. I can't find where to change my signature ?

Comment

Back again after an update. The boot problem is back again.

Here what I can see with sudo journalctl -b :

A lot of these (but at the same moment so I don't think the delay is due to this) :
                      déc. 30 15:00:54 thibault-Legion kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\_SB.PC00.TXHC.RHUB.SS01._UPC], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20230331/>
                      déc. 30 15:00:54 thibault-Legion kernel: ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20230331/psobject-220)
                      déc. 30 15:00:54 thibault-Legion kernel: ACPI: Skipping parse of AML opcode: Method (0x0014)
                      déc. 30 15:00:54 thibault-Legion kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\_SB.PC00.TXHC.RHUB.SS01._PLD], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20230331/>
                      déc. 30 15:00:54 thibault-Legion kernel: ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20230331/psobject-220)
                      déc. 30 15:00:54 thibault-Legion kernel: ACPI: Skipping parse of AML opcode: Method (0x0014)

I have this too :
                      déc. 30 15:00:55 thibault-Legion kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 535.129.03 Thu Oct 19 18:56:32 UTC 2023
                      déc. 30 15:00:55 thibault-Legion kernel: nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms 535.129.03 Thu Oct 19 18:42:12 UTC 2023
                      déc. 30 15:00:55 thibault-Legion kernel: [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Loading driver
                      déc. 30 15:00:55 thibault-Legion kernel: ACPI Warning: \_SB.NPCF._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20230331/nsarguments-61)
                      déc. 30 15:00:55 thibault-Legion kernel: ACPI Warning: \_SB.PC00.PEG1.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20230331/nsarguments-61)

Nvidia appears here :
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: Unable to read EDID for display device DP-2
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: Unable to read EDID for display device DP-2
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion kernel: [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20160202 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 1
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion kernel: nvidia_uvm: module uses symbols nvUvmInterfaceDisableAccessCntr from proprietary module nvidia, inheriting taint.
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion kernel: nvidia-uvm: Loaded the UVM driver, major device number 508.
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Starting systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service - Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:nvidia_0...
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Listening on snapd.socket - Socket activation for snappy daemon.
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Reached target sockets.target - Socket Units.
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion systemd-backlight[897]: nvidia_0: Failed to write system 'brightness' attribute: Invalid argument

and there :
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion udisksd[961]: udisks daemon version 2.10.1 starting
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
                      déc. 30 15:00:56 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Failed to start systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service - Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:nvidia_0.

And here is what delayed the boot for 1 min :
                      déc. 30 15:01:26 thibault-Legion systemd-timesyncd[790]: Initial clock synchronization to Sat 2023-12-30 15:01:26.701303 CET.
                      déc. 30 15:01:26 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: systemd-hostnamed.service: Deactivated successfully.
                      déc. 30 15:01:27 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: systemd-timedated.service: Deactivated successfully.
                      déc. 30 15:02:26 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
                      déc. 30 15:02:26 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM
                      déc. 30 15:02:26 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
                      déc. 30 15:02:26 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Failed to start systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service - Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:nvidia_0.
                      déc. 30 15:02:26 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Starting systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service - Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:nvidia_0...
                      déc. 30 15:02:26 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Finished systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service - Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:nvidia_0.
                      déc. 30 15:02:28 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: gpu-manager.service: Deactivated successfully.
                      déc. 30 15:02:28 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Finished gpu-manager.service - Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes.
                      déc. 30 15:02:28 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Starting sddm.service - Simple Desktop Display Manager...
                      déc. 30 15:02:28 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Started sddm.service - Simple Desktop Display Manager.
                      déc. 30 15:02:28 thibault-Legion systemd[1]: Reached target graphical.target - Graphical Interface.

This is like chinese for me... I can't see what to do or what is really the problem.

Thank you

Comment

Well, problem solved. The issue was due to the fact that I have 2 graphic cards (nVidia Optimus)

Here is the solution from a clean installation of Kubuntu 23,10 :

1. Edit /etc/default/grub and modify as follow :

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=linux acpi_backlight=video"

2. Then in the konsole :
                        Code:
                        sudo update-grub
                        sudo systemctl mask systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service
                        It worked just fine for me
                        Last edited by thibault.liebert; Jan 07, 2024, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Had this same issue Nvidia Driver updated then did that. I am running 1ATI and 1Nvidia. Good to know this is the fix.

Comment

Working...
                          X