Using Wayland with the Nouveau driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Wayland with the Nouveau driver

Irritated by the inability of my GE730 graphics to run Wayland using the Nvidia 470 driver (jerky movements, impossible to control the cursor) I switched to Nouveau driver, and lo and behold it seems to be working. Which seems odd to me, since it's an X Org compatible driver. So my question is, am I really using Wayland? The info center says I am. But I'm just curious why it seems to work now but didn't before. It does not work on my two Steam Games (Universe Sandbox, Space Engine) but I can just go back to the 470 driver for those. Does anyone else have any experience using Wayland with Nouveau? My OS is Mantic Minotaur, by the way.

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
    […] So my question is, am I really using Wayland? […]

echo $WAYLAND_DISPLAY ;
    echo $DISPLAY ;
    echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
    and you know.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 06, 2024, 07:17 PM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

My screen froze before I had a chance to try your suggestions, so I guess it doesn't work very well, despite a promising beginning. It's another case of hardware working fine, but it's fast becoming obsolete. I still use a Lenova netbook from time to time (32-bit) and it still works fine, too (except for the battery, which is moribund), but it's over 12 years old and too slow.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
        My screen froze before I had a chance to try your suggestions, so I guess it doesn't work very well, […]

The official statement about Wayland in the release notes for Kubuntu 23.10 is:
        A Plasma Wayland session is available for testing, but is not supported. […]

apt info kwin-wayland says:
        […]
        This package provides the wayland version, which is still a work in progress
        project, and is available as a PREVIEW release. Don't expect the same
        stability as with the x11 version.​

Personally I will probably wait until Kubuntu 26.04
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks. I think I will wait as long as I can as well, since the present setup is working well.

Comment

Working...
          X