Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Discover updates have recamendations not install them yet Ubutu repos seem want us to install them anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do Discover updates have recamendations not install them yet Ubutu repos seem want us to install them anyway?

Example: Linux Kernel Modules for version 6.5.0-21 (objects) If you click in it the description says: This package contains the Linux kernel nvidia modules for version 6.5.0-21. You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install the one of the linux-modules-nvidia-535-generic* meta-packages, which will ensure that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed. Notice the part I highlighted.
    ​I copied/pasted the description from what Discovery had so the misspellings and poor grammar are not my fault. I use Grammerly which is a Firefox plugin so I catch most of my mistakes before posting.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Discover is just showing more package detail than apt normally does, for example. The meta-package's entire purpose is to depend on a specific set of things. It doesn't provide any actual files or anything outside of a list of depenencies and info.

It is entirely correct that it isn't preferred to install this one package by itself, for the reasons given.

If you only installed that single modules package, you very possibly would never see it updated at all. The meta package mentioned ensures that you do, as well as other depenencies.

You haven't noticed that something similar to linux-modules-nvidia-535-generic​ is in your updates list or is already installed, and is pulling in the kernel modules package as a dependency.

All Debian and Ubuntu like systems have this sort of things. Heck most all distro packaging types have something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Discover is just showing more package detail than apt normally does, for example. The meta-package's entire purpose is to depend on a specific set of things. It doesn't provide any actual files or anything outside of a list of depenencies and info.

It is entirely correct that it isn't preferred to install this one package by itself, for the reasons given.

If you only installed that single modules package, you very possibly would never see it updated at all. The meta package mentioned ensures that you do, as well as other depenencies.

You haven't noticed that something similar to linux-modules-nvidia-535-generic​ is in your updates list or is already installed, and is pulling in the kernel modules package as a dependency.

All Debian and Ubuntu like systems have this sort of things. Heck most all distro packaging types have something similar.
      Ok, Thanks for the clarification. I won't worry about it anymore. I figured it was probably something else I just didn't understand about the way packages and aptitude work.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
        I just didn't understand about the way packages and aptitude work.
        Lol, I am not sure *anyone* understands the intricacies of Debian packaging.
        And Aptitude is often a double edged sword on top of a hammer seeing everything as a nail, and two or three other bad analogies I can't came up with right away
        In other words, be very very VERY careful if using Aptitude.

Comment

Working...
        X