Epson scanner on 23.10 - libsane vs. libsane1 - SOLVED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epson scanner on 23.10 - libsane vs. libsane1 - SOLVED

I'm migrating to a new system running 23.10 from a previous computer running 22.10. I've run into a wall trying to get my Epson Perfection 550 running. The Epson driver software wants Libsane. This was available on my 22.10 system, but seems to have changed to Libsane1 on 23.10. Thus, the Epson software won't install via the provided script. Does anyone know a workaround for this issue?
    I've searched around on various forums and see the libsane vs. libsane1 issue dates back to 2017. Is this bug still alive?

Try libsane-hpaio

Comment

Originally posted by shag00 View Post
      Try libsane-hpaio
      Try it how?

Comment

libsane-hpaio
        That is specifically for HP scanners, so it is not useful for Epson ones.

Originally posted by parkD View Post
        The Epson driver software wants Libsane.
        Can you link to this driver/script? Epson probably just hasn't bothered to update their older stuff for modern-ish distros.
        There may be workarounds, or a small edit to the script.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          That is specifically for HP scanners, so it is not useful for Epson ones.

Can you link to this driver/script? Epson probably just hasn't bothered to update their older stuff for modern-ish distros.
          There may be workarounds, or a small edit to the script.

Thanks for your suggestions. The Epson driver "archive" includes the install script, a rules file and three .deb files;
          iscan_2.30.4-2_amd64.deb
          iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb
          iscan-plugin-perfection-v550_1.0.1-1_amd64.deb

The install script contains no mention of libsane. The 60-iscan.rules mentions "libsane-matched" a few times, but changing that to "libsane1_matched" makes of difference in the error I get running the install script:

Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu mantic InRelease
          Hit:2 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu mantic-security InRelease
          Hit:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu mantic-updates InRelease
          Hit:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu mantic-backports InRelease
          Reading package lists... Done
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree... Done
          Reading state information... Done
          Note, selecting 'libgcc-s1' instead of 'libgcc1'
          Note, selecting 'libgcc-s1' instead of 'libgcc1'
          Package libsane is not available, but is referred to by another package.
          This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
          is only available from another source

E: Package 'libsane' has no installation candidate

​The Ark installer doesn't complain about installing iscan-data, but says "unsatisfied dependencies" for both of the other .deb files, so they must want libsane. That's about as far as my knowledge of scripting in linux goes. Can I uninstall libsane1 and install an old version of libsane? That seems dicey. Is libsane truly obsolete?

Comment

Try libsane-hpaio
            That package is already installed on my system.

Comment

Can you link to the download?
              The debs themselves will be set up to depend on specific package names, though the installation can be forced to ignore these.

In 22.10 and previous releases for some years, the package libsane is simply one that does nothing else but depend on libsane1, for backwards compatibility purposes that apparently is deemed no longer necessary after all this time. It has no files itself.

it should be fairly straightforward to modify the script to install the debs, ignoring the built-in dependencies, but manually installing the correct ones. I am sure the script is doing a bit more than just installing debs, but I can't say without taking a look at things.

Comment

The cheaters way to 'fix' this would be to manually grab and install Lunar's libsane package

Comment

Can you link to the download?
                  The debs themselves will be set up to depend on specific package names, though the installation can be forced to ignore these.

In 22.10 and previous releases for some years, the package libsane is simply one that does nothing else but depend on libsane1, for backwards compatibility purposes that apparently is deemed no longer necessary after all this time. It has no files itself.

it should be fairly straightforward to modify the script to install the debs, ignoring the built-in dependencies, but manually installing the correct ones. I am sure the script is doing a bit more than just installing debs, but I can't say without taking a look at things.
                  The download is here.

https://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/d...kage&OSC=LX&DL
                  Last edited by parkD; Nov 04, 2023, 07:57 PM.

Comment

ty. I could not download any files from Epson for some reason.

But, the cheat suggestion has already been used by someone. Since this package has no actual content other than depending on libsane1, it is one of those rare times it is safe to install a package from a different release.

Download that, double click it to install, and try the script again.
                    Or, in the terminal:
                    sudo dpkg -i /full/path/to/name-of-deb.deb

Comment

ty. I could not download any files from Epson for some reason.

But, the cheat suggestion has already been used by someone. Since this package has no actual content other than depending on libsane1, it is one of those rare times it is safe to install a package from a different release.

Download that, double click it to install, and try the script again.
                      Or, in the terminal:
                      sudo dpkg -i /full/path/to/name-of-deb.deb
                      Yes, that did it! Amazingly simple when you know what you're doing. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                      X