Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No GPU desktop acceleration - Intel Geminilake (Gen9)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No GPU desktop acceleration - Intel Geminilake (Gen9)

I hope someone on this platform is able to assist me with this fairly strange issue with my fresh Kubuntu installation: KDE doesn't utilize integrated intel GPU at all.
    It's fair to say there is general tardiness moving mouse etc and watching videos 4k simply is not possible.

I have jellyfin server runnin on the background and using external device to watch movies decoded by my kubuntu installation works flawless without any hicups or sweat.

device is ODYSSEY-X86J4105

vainfo:
    Code:
    error: can't connect to X server!
    libva info: VA-API version 1.19.0
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
    libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_18
    libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
    vainfo: VA-API version: 1.19 (libva 2.12.0)
    vainfo: Driver version: Intel iHD driver for Intel(R) Gen Graphics - 23.2.3 ()
    vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
    VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
    VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
    VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointEncPicture
    VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
    VAProfileVP8Version0_3 : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileHEVCMain10 : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileVP9Profile0 : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileVP9Profile2 : VAEntrypointVLD
    How to taggle the issue?​

Welcome.

Did you check if kubuntu-restricted-extras, gstreamer1.0-vaapi and libvdpau-va-gl1 are installed?
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      Welcome.

Did you check if kubuntu-restricted-extras, gstreamer1.0-vaapi and libvdpau-va-gl1 are installed?

Thank you for quick respond. They werent installed, how ever after installing them and reboot there was no change on behaviour.

Comment

If you use Wayland try using X11 instead.
        Or test another (new) user account.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

It seems 23.10 installation was X11 as default. Switched to wayland and while it seems way snappier now as desktop, playing video absolutely murders cpu and results to system crash.

I think at this point would be good idea for cross check, wipe system and redo.

Comment

OK, so go back to X11 then, as in 23.10 Wayland is officially still considered "experimental".

How do you play videos?
            If you use VLC you could try mpv instead - I have made the experience that it works much better on older computer (not that your computer is old, just saying…).

Comment

Originally posted by samsunix View Post
              I have jellyfin server runnin on the background
              Is this via Docker by any chance, and has the GPU been passed through to the container?
              I wonder if this may be a cause?

Just something to consider looking at, maybe testing things by disconnecting the gpu from docker and seeing if that has any effect.
              Docker confuses me a lot, and I know just enough to get some things going with docker compose files on my NAS - including Jellyfin, but that is headless with a web interface.
              Last edited by claydoh; Feb 29, 2024, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Fresh install (no docker etc, only installed stremio)
                ​​

same issue reappears with browser and media players. Switching between X11 and wayland has no any affect.
                Last edited by samsunix; Feb 29, 2024, 04:52 PM.

Comment

For comparison this is ubuntu server with jellyfin server while watching movie from another device.

Comment

ubuntu server with jellyfin server
                    it isn't Ubuntu server any more, once you put a GUI on it assuming this is the case of course.

Better/different specs on the other device? Ubuntu and Kubuntu are 100% identical in terms of video drivers and hardware support, when comparing identical releases
                    And you aren't running Stremio in the second image, which in my experience is quite a feral hog, as your first image shows.

How does 4K Youtube content fare? A lot less overhead there.

KDE doesn't utilize integrated intel GPU at all
                    How exactly are you determining this? What does KInfoCenter show?

We are missing some basic info, such as your monitor resolution and refresh rate.
                    How much vram have you dedicated to graphics?
                    What storage type are you running the OS from (pleeease don't say emmc If so, that is a huge bottleneck, read/write speeds are sloow, and streamed 4k files are yuuuge. Hitting swap makes it even worse)

Being able to output to a monitor in 4k does not equal being able to pump out video to that monitor at 4K very well, when Stremio is sucking all the ram trying to torrent and download the streams. Don't forget the GPU is part of the CPU, more or less, and from your image, you are maxing the cpu and hitting swap. So, yes, you are going to have choppy stuff everywhere

Code:
                    HDMI2.0a: Up to 4096x2160 @ 60Hz 24bpp / DP1.2a: Up to 4096x2160 @60Hz 24bpp
                    if eliminating these all as factors, there may be some kernel boot option or something that someone who knows this very specific and somewhat niche hardware well might be able to shed some light on and help discover something.

Comment

Those who been on industry for long time knows assuming is dangerous

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      it isn't Ubuntu server any more, once you put a GUI on it ​​​​​ assuming this is the case of course.
                      If you observe carefully that is two putty windows on top of browser. More over I did mention screenshot is capped from other devide but decoding happens on 'device with the issue'. Ofc that is not issue here (referring to second screenshot).

Better/different specs on the other device? Ubuntu and Kubuntu are 100% identical in terms of video drivers and hardware support, when comparing identical releases
                      And you aren't running Stremio in the second image, which in my experience is quite a feral hog, as your first image shows.

How does 4K Youtube content fare? A lot less overhead there.
                      device is ODYSSEY-X86J4105
                      I did mention same issue occurs reviewing video on browser and other players.​Second screenshot is for 'comparison' but I did full jellyfin server setup with kubuntu and result were similar, but as you said; they are basically same system.

How exactly are you determining this? What does KInfoCenter show?
                      When playing video only cpu is utilized?

We are missing some basic info, such as your monitor resolution and refresh rate.
                      How much vram have you dedicated to graphics?
                      What storage type are you running the OS from (pleeease don't say emmc ​​​​​ If so, that is a huge bottleneck, read/write speeds are sloow, and streamed 4k files are yuuuge. Hitting swap makes it even worse)
                      4k@60Hz (this is my telly setup[was hoping snappier respond times vs google tv]).
                      I don't honestly know as almost never had to deal with issues with integrated graphics cards and there is knowledge cap - only thing I know is that it uses system ram and it should be enough as this thing is designed to play 4K content @60fps.
                      The main storage is on M2. Even on my raspberry I use usb SSD rather than emmc as I know how bad solution that is and should not be implemented in the first place.

Being able to output to a monitor in 4k does not equal being able to pump out video to that monitor at 4K very well, when Stremio is sucking all the ram trying to torrent and download the streams. Don't forget the GPU is part of the CPU, more or less, and from your image, you are maxing the cpu and hitting swap. So, yes, you are going to have choppy stuff everywhere ​​​​​
                      I think I partly already answer on this but in other words, If I slam windows on it, there won't be any issues. This is KDE issue.

Code:
                      HDMI2.0a: Up to 4096x2160 @ 60Hz 24bpp / DP1.2a: Up to 4096x2160 @60Hz 24bpp
                      if eliminating these all as factors, there may be some kernel boot option or something that someone who knows this very specific and somewhat niche hardware well might be able to shed some light on and help discover something.
                      This I agree. In order to be able to pump decoded video over network with 12% cpu utilization require some and then more configuration from my end.

For decoding I followed these instructions: here
                      For encoding I followed these instructions: here
                      Last edited by samsunix; Mar 01, 2024, 01:49 AM.

Comment

[…]
                        I don't honestly know as almost never had to deal with issues with integrated graphics cards and there is knowledge cap - only thing I know is that it uses system ram and it should be enough as this thing is designed to play 4K content @60fps.
                        […]
                        You are right - AFAIK 4K should not be a problem at all specifications-wise…

Perhaps I didn't get it, but did you tell us if you use an iGPU only in this computer or if you have an additional graphics card installed as well (make, model… - even if you don't use it for this output)?

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post

You are right - AFAIK 4K should not be a problem at all specifications-wise…

Perhaps I didn't get it, but did you tell us if you use an iGPU only in this computer or if you have an additional graphics card installed as well (make, model… - even if you don't use it for this output)?
                          Morning Schwarzer,

I don't have any USB graphic cards around unfortunately, iGPU is only option. After all this this is SBC.

Comment

OK, at least we can rule out problems with the usage of multiple graphics cards now…

Comment

that is two putty windows on top of browser
                              You assume I use Putty (or Windows in general) enough to recognize it

I admittedly am throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, for sure.

I still think it may be worthwhile to go to the manufacturer's forum and ask around there for any tips as well. Or even a more general Linux or Ubuntu place. More eyeballs trying to help find a solution, and all that. More people with more Linux experience with this type of hardware. Someone may know a good module tweak or config for this specific hardware setup. It is not an uncommon platform, just few people in this tiny corner here, as this is less geared towards desktop use cases, where Linux is concerned. NAS, HTPC, homelab type stuff where content is mostly traveling via the network, not the video cable.

If I slam windows on it, there won't be any issues. This is KDE issue.
                              No, it is at this point a Linux issue, methinks = KDE has nothing to do with hardware support, it can only use what the underlying OS (Ubuntu in our case) and drivers provide, mostly.

So, to at least clear some potential things, what display driver is being used?
                              (note that there are two parts here, so vainfo shows one part, but not the kernel module)
                              Code:
                              sudo lshw -c video | grep configuration
                              It should be i915, irrc
                              Then to list what module settings are being used:
                              Code:
                              sudo grep . /sys/module/i915/parameters/*

Here's one of mine, just for an example:
                              Code:
                              $ lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
                              00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
                              DeviceName: Onboard IGD
                              Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company HD Graphics 530
                              Kernel driver in use: i915
                              itty@itty-bitty:~$ sudo grep . /sys/module/i915/parameters/*
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/disable_display:N
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/disable_power_well:-1
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/dmc_firmware_path:(null)
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/edp_vswing:0
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_dc:-1
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_dpcd_backlight:-1
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_dp_mst:Y
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_dpt:Y
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_fbc:-1
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_guc:-1
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_gvt:N
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_hangcheck:Y
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_ips:1
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_psr:-1
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_psr2_sel_fetch:Y
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_sagv:Y
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/error_capture:Y
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/fastboot:-1
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/force_reset_modeset_test:N
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/gsc_firmware_path:(null)
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/guc_firmware_path:(null)
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/guc_log_level:-1
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/huc_firmware_path:(null)
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/invert_brightness:0
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/lmem_bar_size:0
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/lmem_size:0
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/load_detect_test:N
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/lvds_channel_mode:0
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/memtest:N
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/mitigations:auto
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/mmio_debug:0
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/modeset:-1
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/nuclear_pageflip:N
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/panel_use_ssc:-1
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/psr_safest_params:N
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/request_timeout_ms:20000
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/reset:3
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/vbt_firmware:(null)
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/vbt_sdvo_panel_type:-1
                              /sys/module/i915/parameters/verbose_state_checks:Y

I am sure yours is going to be similar, and using i915, but it is a starting point

​To view the opengl renderer:
                              Code:
                              glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"​
                              You may need to install glxinfo for this
                              Last edited by claydoh; Mar 01, 2024, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X