Incorrect language being used in two installed applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect language being used in two installed applications

Hi everyoneI have 23.10 installed on a rather dated Lenevo Ideapad, works great, far more responsive than the Windows 10 that was on here before, and all has been well, except for a rather curious issue that has now arisen. I decided to install VLC, it is such a great media player, it works fine, except all controls and labels are in Italian. I had selected English Language pack only when I installed. As this is not such an issue, after all, play a movie is easy to do even in Italian. I did not make much of it. More recently, I added a Logitech MX Keys keyboard, and then needed to install Solaar to get things working correctly, and that is also in Italian. Now that is more challenging. I installed same package from same source (Solaar) for my other Linux laptop, the one I use for work, and same package installs the app in English.
    So now I have everything in English except two applications which are in Italian. To try to resolve, I went to settings and checked the language packs, and to my surprise, several are now installed, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, French as well as English.
    I removed these extra packages, uninstalled VLC and Solaar, rebooted and checked that only English is installed, then downloaded and installed VLÇ and Solaar again- and they are in Italian again, even though no Italian language pack is installed.
    How can this be possible?
    Wouldnt be so bad if I spoke Italian, or knew someone who did, but I dont, I have has no past need of this either, so its all somewhat strange to me.
    Anyone any ideas how I can get rid of the Italian for anything on my laptop and just be all in English?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 30, 2023, 02:41 PM.

Does anyone have any ideas where I might look to resolve this issue?

Comment

I don't have an answer but.....

A bit more information might help someone who might.

How did you install the packages? FlatPak? Snap? Native DEB format?

You said you downloaded and installed them. From where?

What are your regional settings? Have you checked they are set correctly in System Settings?

If you're using British Engrish you may not have language-pack-kde-en installed

I had to install it myself, even though I chose British Engrish during install.

The devil is in the details! 🤣🤣🤣

Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I've encountered something similar in the past. When I release upgraded to 20.04 all my GTK apps started using French, after I added American English. The LANGUAGE environment variable got set to en_US:fr. In a konsole, what does the locale say?
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
        X