Flatpak Firefox won't start, and can't update flatpak [solved]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flatpak Firefox won't start, and can't update flatpak [solved]

For the past couple days, Firefox won't launch -- when I click the icon in the menu, I'll see the floating icon for a moment, and then nothing. Firefox worked normally as recently as Sunday, when I spent four hours playing an RPG on Foundry VTT -- I don't believe I've launched it successfully since then. Recalling an ongoing issue with SeaMonkey sometimes failing to completely close, I checked htop but don't see any processes labeled as firefox.

My Firefox is version 119.0 installed from flatpak. I tried "flatpak update" and got a bunch of error messages generally similar to this excerpt: ": Warning: Treating remote fetch error as non-fatal since runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default/x86_64/23.08 is already installed: No such ref 'runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default/x86_64/23.08' in remote flathub" and when I tried to update Firefox specifically with "flatpak update org.mozilla.firefox" I received this:

"Looking for updates…

F: Warning: Treating remote fetch error as non-fatal since app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable is already installed: No such ref 'app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable' in remote flathub

F: Warning: Treating remote fetch error as non-fatal since runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/22.08 is already installed: No such ref 'runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/22.08' in remote flathub

Nothing to do.​"

I prefer SeaMonkey, but a lot of web stuff won't work with it any more (probably because it's forty or so versions behind Firefox and lacks some critical features). Now Firefox won't run. Help!
    Last edited by Silent Observer; Jan 23, 2024, 05:22 PM.

Additional: Skype installed from flatpak won't start, either, so I rebooted -- and the computer won't boot from the SSD. One of the cats turned off the UPS yesterday, may have caused some issues. I'm booting the desktop machine now from my Kubuntu Live thumb drive, I'll see if I can get a chkdsk to fix the possibly damaged filesystem (xt4, so hopefully journalling will save me).

Comment

Okay, after starting the desktop machine from Kubuntu Live, installing Gparted (don't trust the Kubuntu ISO version of KDE Partition Manager -- I recall the 22.04 version of that program having a serious bug), and running a check on all partitions on both SSDs, the computer rebooted and Firefox starts and runs normally.

Anyone know a good recipe for a large, fat, fluffy cat?

Comment

Working...
      X