Not able to upgrade to 23.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Not able to upgrade to 23.10

Today I was informed by a little message that I could upgrade to Kubuntu 23.10. I clicked on the upgrade button, and shortly afterwards got a message saying: The upgrade failed with the following output. But there was no output in the box. So I tried with the terminal command: sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop. I received a notification that I had to update my system first, which I had already done. I updated again twice, once with the terminal (your system is up to date) and with Discover, which found a font that 'needed' to be updated, which I did. Then I tried again, with the same error message. Any idea what is happening? I'm currently using 23.04, so it can be upgraded.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 03, 2023, 05:02 PM.

When you sudo apt update && apt list --upgradable in Konsole are there any packages that are held back ("phased" packages) - and therefore are not upgraded with sudo apt full-upgrade?

If that is the case you will have to install them manually one by one before sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop works.

PS: And upgrading to Kubuntu 23.10 should officially work by now, as Mantic Minotaur (23.10) is listed in https://changelogs.ubuntu.com/meta-release.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 02, 2023, 09:23 PM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I too got the message about the Kubuntu 23.11 upgrade being available. I ran the process, got the empty output box. I ran the process again and it completed the upgrade. It took about two hours, with my wireless speed (50KB/s - 1MB/s). I then ran the normal update process:

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade --fix-missing
      It updated about 175 files and then I rebooted into Kubuntu 23.11

Aside from my slow wireless connection, it was relatively painless.

TWP
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I was able to run the upgrade today without problems and it finished successfully. Thanks to those who responded.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          When you sudo apt update && apt list --upgradable in Konsole are there any packages that are held back ("phased" packages) - and therefore are not upgraded with sudo apt full-upgrade?

If that is the case you will have to install them manually one by one
          I have this issue but am concerned about the package kept back:
          dhcpcd-base
          As this is an internet requirement if I force update it, will it remove then attempt to download the new version - which would not work due to no internet access?
          Thanks.

Comment

It will download it first (without removing any packages that are to be updated) and then update/install it. This is how package managers (like APT) usually work.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 06, 2023, 08:33 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Ok.
              So what is the best way to do that?
              sudo apt install --only-upgrade​ dhcpcd-base ??

nb. When I tried Muon it was going to remove a lot of packages.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

I had to look it up:
                dhcpcd-base conflicts with isc-dhcp-client (and therefore with network-manager and plasma-nm) and is not part of the standard Kubuntu installation.

So perhaps an output of sudo apt update && apt list --upgradable and apt policy dhcpcd-base (in CODE tags) would be a start to solve your problem.
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 07, 2023, 10:48 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

I'm getting something held back a "libmpv-dev" - would that be why I'm having the same problem? Everything except that is up to date according to the output in the Konsole. And that was with running "full-upgrade"

I click on the upgrade notification and i get that same box with an empty error output

Comment

I had to run the upgrade twice, per my post above. Try it again?
                    TWP
                    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenova View Post
                      I'm getting something held back a "libmpv-dev" - would that be why I'm having the same problem? […]
                      Possibly, but a terminal output in CODE tags could be helpful…

You can also get more information with e.g. apt policy libmpv-dev.
                      For "held back" packages also see claydoh 's sticky https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...e-ok-read-this.

At least libmpv-dev is not part of a standard Kubuntu installation AFAIK - apt info libmpv-dev says
                      "[…]
                      This package provides development files for libmpv."

Probably it came with something like youtube-dl or ffmpeg

You could either delete it if you don't need it or force the update by sudo apt install libmpv-dev.

PS: And if one is unsure what the apt command will do and suspects any harm, one can often add the -s or --dry-run flag to simulate the command without touching the system - e.g. sudo apt install --dry-run libmpv-dev.
                      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 09, 2023, 02:52 PM. Reason: added PS, typos

Comment

Originally posted by barkingbandicoot View Post

sudo apt install --only-upgrade​ dhcpcd-base
                        UPDATE:

After running this command it installed the new package over the top of the other. I was then able to run the upgrade successfully.
                        I booted into 23.10 and all looked good - until I was going to work today and discovered there was no wifi - only ethernet.
                        No commands were working. I re-installed Networkmanager-qt as it was not showing a panel icon or even any internet settings in settings.
                        Nothing worked!
                        Finallly "sudo apt-get install -y plasma-nm​" got it working again.

Comment

I have the same problem, and trying to upgrade `dhcpcd-server` wants to remove a whole bunch of packages that definitely don't seem safe:

Code:
                          tumbolia# apt list --upgradable
                          Listing... Done
                          dhcpcd-base/lunar 9.4.1-19 amd64 [upgradable from: 9.4.1-4]
                          N: There is 1 additional version. Please use the '-a' switch to see it

tumbolia# apt policy dhcpcd-base
                          dhcpcd-base:
                            Installed: 9.4.1-4
                            Candidate: 9.4.1-19
                            Version table:
                               9.4.1-19 500
                                  500 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lunar/universe amd64 Packages
                           *** 9.4.1-4 100
                                  100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                          ​
                          tumbolia# apt install --only-upgrade dhcpcd-base
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree... Done
                          Reading state information... Done
                          The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                            augeas-lenses libaugeas0 libconfig9 libhivex0 libintl-perl libintl-xs-perl libkf5modemmanagerqt6 libndp0 libnma-gtk4-0
                            libnma0 libopenconnect5 libpskc0 libstoken1 libsys-virt-perl libteamdctl0 libtomcrypt1 libtommath1 libwin-hivex-perl
                            libxmlsec1-openssl libyara9 pptp-linux proton-vpn-gtk-app python3-aiohttp python3-aiosignal python3-frozenlist
                            python3-gnupg python3-proton-core python3-proton-keyring-linux python3-proton-keyring-linux-secretservice
                            python3-proton-vpn-api-core python3-proton-vpn-connection python3-proton-vpn-killswitch python3-proton-vpn-logger
                            python3-proton-vpn-session python3-tabulate python3-yarl
                          Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
                          The following packages will be REMOVED:
                            guestfish guestfs-tools guestmount isc-dhcp-client libguestfs-hfsplus libguestfs-perl libguestfs-reiserfs
                            libguestfs-tools libguestfs-xfs libguestfs0 network-manager network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome
                            network-manager-pptp plasma-nm proton-vpn-gnome-desktop protonvpn python3-proton-vpn-killswitch-network-manager
                            python3-proton-vpn-network-manager python3-proton-vpn-network-manager-openvpn tlp-rdw ubuntu-minimal virt-p2v
                          The following packages will be upgraded:
                            dhcpcd-base
                          1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 23 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                          Need to get 213 kB of archives.
                          After this operation, 59.0 MB disk space will be freed.
                          Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
                          ​

Comment

Welcome.

And see post # 8 - you have conflicting packages.
                            It's your decision - and depending on that you will have to see what happens during the distribution upgrade process (meaning: probably e.g. network-manager and plasma-nm will be reinstalled)…
                            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 27, 2023, 06:30 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Why the --no-upgrade, tho? What is the purpose for it, here?

Might this be causing the removals? I'll wager 50 cents that it is. This is preventing other new packages from being installed, and those may be required for all the ones offered for removal.

Comment

Working...
                              X