No announcement yet.

Cannot have different snaped windows sizes in different in desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Cannot have different snaped windows sizes in different in desktop

Say you have snaped two window in one virtual desktop (desktop 1) where one window occupy 70% of the horizontal space and other 70%. Now you want to split another pair of windows in another virtual desktop (desktop 2), this windows automatically uses ratio in which windows were snaped in previous desktop:- desktop1 and say i didn't like the ratio in which windows was snaped in desktop2, so it simply change it by draggin one of the window so that both windows occupies 50% of the horizontal space, but this changes gets reflected in windows snaped in desktop 1, which was supposed to remain in 70%:30% split but changed to 50%:50% split.

Can someone tell me how to change this behaviour of plasma where windows split size in one desktop does not change size of of windows split in another window, like what gnome does.

You can't, at least not currently.

Comment

"snaped"; is that "snapped" or "shaped"? I'll presume you mean something like "sized", and the windows you talk about are app windows, such as dolphin or konsole.
      ...this changes gets reflected in windows snaped in desktop 1...
      I don't know how you'd do that, unless it's the same windows as on desktop 1, set to appear on both desktops. I suggest right-clicking on the entry in the task bar (presuming you have a task bar and there are entries for the windows) and mouse to "Move to Desktop"; is "All Desktops" checked? By "same windows" I don't mean the same app, I mean the same content.

I usually have several browser windows across 2 desktops, and they resize independently.

In KDE, window rules can do a lot of magic, but I can't find something to get windows on one desktop to resize other windows on another desktop.

Conceivably, on X11 a background script could watch the DBUS or something and notice a window size change on one desktop and make the same change on another, but that would be serious wizardry (to overextend the magic metaphor). Or maybe a Kwin script could do it, I suppose; I hope that sort of thing will be accessible to end users like me one day. (I've got a lot of hopes on Kwin, I need Kwin to step up to cope with the wilful brain-damage in Wayland.)
      Regards, John Little

Comment

In Plasma, virtual desktops share all settings like this. Separate monitors can have different layouts for snapping/tiling set up (meta-T), but not virtual desktops, and even in Activities, the zones created stay the same.
        But this tiling feature is new, some desired features won't begin to be looked at until Plasma 6 There are already bug reports as well.

There are tons of tiling scripts, but I don't think these are per-desktop, either, as far as I can see.

Comment

Working...
        X