Looking for panel restore software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Looking for panel restore software

Running Kubuntu 23.04 Plasma and just had a small scare. I changed a setting in the panel and the panel went away.
    It came back but not before I began to wonder what I could have done to mess things up
    Now, what I is the small Gnome program that restores the panel. Can anyone tell me where to find that?
    I might need it sometime LOL
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Gnome-Panel-Restore_thumb.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	672460

There is a plasma widget that saves and restores your Plasma configs, but not just the panel, specifically.
    Look for "Plasma Customization Saver" in the "get new widgets" tool. It is quite handy for restoring configs to new installs, and copying to different systems.
    There are as number of scripts for doing this as well. This one is fairly popular.

The specific file that contains the panel info is ~/config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
    Plasma is fairly good at restarting itself when something goes Boom!
    Also, it is really easy to get a stock Plasma panel back, it is one of the Add Panel optiosn in the right-click desktop context menus.

But if the panel stays gone, you need to stop plasmashell before replacing that backed-up config file, as the running desktop has the running copy in ram, and most likely will overwrite the file if it has been restored.
    I believe that the Saver widget takes care of that stuff. I did test it some years ago, but it is not something I need, myself.

But a script that does this for just the panel is not hard to make, considering I did so myself some time back:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

## Kill Plasmashell
    kquitapp5 plasmashell

## Delete sh***y config
    rm ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

## Copy good backup config -- Edit to change the name and location for the backed up file.
    cp ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrcBAX ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

## Restart Plasmashell
    kstart5 plasmashell &
    save it, make it executable, and it will work like your screenshot, which is probably a simple script along the lines above.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you

Comment

Working...
      X