Kate and Dolphin don't show password dialog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Kate and Dolphin don't show password dialog

Hi there. I'm having a problem with Dolphin and Kate on kubuntu 23.04. It used to be the case that when using either of these on protected directories or files it would pop up a password dialog to allow me to continue as sudo. Now it just throws up an error saying I need elevated privileges. I'm sure this must have been covered somewhere before but after hours of googling I still can't find an answer. Any suggestions?

Welcome!

To get admin access in Dolphin check that kio-admin is installed (also see: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...d-by-kio-admin).

Konsole : apt policy kio-admin
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 17, 2023, 07:38 PM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      To get admin access in Dolphin check that kio-admin is installed
      That should not be necessary for this purpose, for Kate and dolphin. It might be useful as a workaround.

It could be that the intended directory /files have different/changed ownership/permissions. Trying to enter the root user home dir (/root) for example, or opening /var/run/crond.rebbot. But this doesn't show an error message, it simply says "could not enter folder" in the Dolphin window. (NOT a popup)

Comment

To get admin access in Dolphin check that kio-admin is installed (also see: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...d-by-kio-admin).

OK, so, kio-admin wasn't installed. Having installed it I can now traverse the file system OK. However Kate is still not popping up a password window when I try to save a protected file.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetz007 View Post
          Kate is still not popping up a password window when I try to save a protected file.
          That should NOT be happening. You aren't by chance logged in as ROOT, or launched Kate as ROOT (sudo kate)?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X