Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Download a non-containerized, binary version of 23.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download a non-containerized, binary version of 23.04?

Kubuntu's Download page gives effectively only one download image, presumably a snapped version. The release notes say that one can add a Flatpak repository, but it didn't say anything about getting rid of Snaps; it also didn't say anything about getting a binary-only version. Can I get a binary only version and/or a Flatpak only version? What is this forums' experts' opinions about these options?

The only thing 'containerized' in *buntu are the individual snap packages, and flatpak packages if one installs any. 23.04 is no different from 22.04 in this regard.

Neither are mandatory, though Firefox will come as a snap. Chromium will as well, if you install it. Any other snaps or flatpaks would need to be explicitly installed by you.​

The firefox snap can be replaced with 'native' packages. There are how-tos and scripts that can be found here in this forum, as well as all over the internet.​

So, there is no 'binary only', whatever that means. It already is.

My expert opinion (lol) is to Just Use You System, and only worry about the internals when something isn't working right.
    Don't waste tons of time listening to the negative stuff, though don't dismiss it. Snaps and flatpaks are not going to burn things to the ground.
    YOU might not even notice any difference in your usage.

Comment

Thanks, claydoh, but I've noticed it already. I'm getting that annoying popup telling me that Firefox has an update available and that I need to shut it down for it to install, but that isn't what happens. I shut it down, wait a while, call it back up, and nothing's changed and I still get that popup. I look it up on the 'net, and learn that there's a minorly complicated procedure I have to go through to get it updated; it does not update itself unless I just ignore the popup until its specified time limit expires, when it abruptly closes, updates--presumably--then either comes back up or waits for me to call it back up again. No simple, distro-maintained, automatic updtate. And I've noticed that a lot of the apps in the default system as well as many if not all of those I add also are snapped, leading me to infer that I'll have the same hassle updating all of them. There is one impressive exception: the Brave browser; it updated itself, even though it's snapped, without incident. I used the term binary only because that's what shwarter kater called it. He posted a reply to my question about this and provided a long script for installing non-snapped, what he called binary only, version of Fx.

Comment

"binary' is just the wrong phrase. They are all binary
        Snap is just a packaging and delivery format.

Basically, the Snap system is software that can be removed, or not used. Same as Flatpak.

So you can either remove the stuff, ignore the stuff and don't use it, or use a distro that doesn't come with the stuff.

Comment

Slightly OT:
          I used the term "binary" because Debian uses it in context (https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox#From_Mozilla_binaries) - in lack of a better expression just to make some kind of distinction between this Firefox version and e.g. containerized formats.
          I am sorry if this has caused any confusion and am open to suggestions for a better expression…

RLynwood :
          As claydoh already said, also - for the three options you have - see: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...634#post669634
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 22, 2023, 03:35 AM.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Claydoh, "'binary' is just the wrong phrase. They are all binary" Yes, I understand; clear enough.
            "Snap is just a packaging and delivery format." I knew that, too. As I said, I used Schwarter Kater's usage, which he explained above and which, along with his links, I appreciate and will pursue in deciding what to do.

"Basically, the Snap system is software that can be removed, or not used. Same as Flatpak." Yes, but I wish the choice were a clearly defined & explained option at installation time, not a technical effort for those knowledgeable enough to do so after installation.

Comment

I think the Ubuntu team is smothering itself with bureaucracy at the moment very much to the detriment of average desktop users. Having suffered through exactly the issue you mentioned I disabled both snap and flatpack and now only use apt (debs). While at it I also changed my browser to Vivaldi which I would recommend,
              Click image for larger version

Name:	dolphin.png
Views:	153
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	670393

Comment

Working...
              X