Info Center has no window!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info Center has no window!

When I launch Info Center it displays a button on the taskbar and you can click on it and select the options like normal. There is no Window displayed no matter what you select. I looked to see if it put it on another virtual desktop but no. It looks like it never draws its window in the first place! I get no error message it just never shows up. I was using it to get the information needed to request work on getting Git Hub/Proton for Cities Skylines 2 compatibility. I'll have to see if I can find the information another way.

This could be a problem with my system. I just upgraded from 22.04 to 23.04 about 5 hours ago.

I am not sure what tags to use with this post.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
    I just upgraded from 22.04 to 23.04 about 5 hours ago
    I wonder how, as such an upgrade is not supported. (22.04 does not have a supported upgrade until 24.04 is released, as 22.10 has gone out of support.)

Running kinfocenter in a konsole might give a clue, buried in the trash messages that can be ignored; I get 8 lines of these.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      I wonder how, as such an upgrade is not supported. (22.04 does not have a supported upgrade until 24.04 is released, as 22.10 has gone out of support.)
      I did
      Code:
      sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop
      ​
      That updated to 23.04.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 25, 2023, 06:47 AM.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

I forgot to add I went into sources in Discover and changed updates from LTS to normal maybe that is why.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
          I forgot to add I went into sources in Discover and changed updates from LTS to normal maybe that is why.
          No, skipping releases has never been an upgrade option, ever, other than direct LTS-to-LTS upgrades.
          Maybe a bug that allowed this?
          In any case it is not supported. Maybe try a new user account, perhaps it is a bum config file, or similar.

Butt....I see an upgrade popup on my 22.04 system when I adjust the setting to normal releases. So there is definitely a bug here. This probably is possible on Ubuntu proper as well.

Try the usual post-upgrade troubleshooting/cleanup.

make sure kubuntu-desktop is installed
          use apt to check for any messages during an update, something might be missing
          Make sure all your sources.list entries read lunar instead of jammy

Were you using any PPAs? Which ones? particularly the kubuntu related ones.
          If you happened to be using the new kubuntu-backports-extra PPA on 22.04, to get Plasma 5.27, this might be the issue - it has Plasma and KDE bits that are newer than what is in 23.04, so I can see a library or package version mis-match occurring that might have symptoms like this.
          let us know which PPAs you may have

Doing as jlittle suggests to see what the terminal shows when running kinfocenter should reveal useful info.

my bone-stock test 22.04 install upgraded to 23.04 just fine, here. Kinfocenter launches from the Places shortcut on the Kmenu, and shows up in System Settings, as expected with no issues.
          Last edited by claydoh; Oct 25, 2023, 08:48 AM.

Comment

This time it worked but I see errors. Kubuntu has let me upgrade skipping versions in the past so this bug has been hiding for several years. I wish I knew it was a bad idea sooner.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X