Fail to boot with standard options, boot with vmlinuz-generic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fail to boot with standard options, boot with vmlinuz-generic

I used Kubuntu for more than a year now. I had to reinstall a few months ago but now I have a strange issues at boot. If I use the standard boot option it fail to boot, it's stuck after entering the decryption password. No specific error are given.
    However if I go into advance boot option and select:
    vmlinuz-6.2.0-24-generic: Boot with standard options, then it boots fine and everything looks like usual.
    Any clue what could be going on and how to investigate this issue?

Did you change anything relevant in /etc's system files or /boot?

Have you tried simply updating GRUB and/or reinstalling it to the boot partition you use from the Konsole terminal emulator?
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 10, 2023, 02:26 PM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Edit /etc/default/grub and change the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to read:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash"

Save and exit and then run: sudo update-grub2

Reboot. Note where the boot process 'hangs'.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If it helps any, since the last update to kernel 6.2.0-25-generic, my system hangs and displays something about an intel sound module that wasn't an issue before the upgrade. I have the AMD Threadripper 3970x cpu and everything had been fine until the last update. Knowing that Kubuntu 23.04 is short-lived, I have just been booting to 6.2.0-24-generic.

Comment

Originally posted by jhayes View Post
          If it helps any, since the last update to kernel 6.2.0-25-generic, my system hangs and displays something about an intel sound module that wasn't an issue before the upgrade. I have the AMD Threadripper 3970x cpu and everything had been fine until the last update. Knowing that Kubuntu 23.04 is short-lived, I have just been booting to 6.2.0-24-generic.
          I've been experiencing the same issue, except nothing about an Intel sound module, and I'm using an AMD Ryzen 5600X. Ever since 6.2.0-25-generic, I have been unable to boot. 6.2.0-24-generic still works perfectly fine. When booting without "quiet", I can see the point it hangs at is after it says "detected capacity change" fifteen times (which I'm guessing is related to my boot drive), before which is when the journald service is started. Seemingly no indication of any errors from what I can see though. Is there anything else I can check?

Comment

I'm now being given the option to upgrade to kernel 6.2.0-26. is there any way I can make sure it keeps the kernel I've been using (6.2.0-24) in case this new kernel doesn't fix the issue?

Comment

Can confirm the issue still exists with kernel 6.2.0-26.

Comment

Originally posted by shorple View Post
                […]
                Is there anything else I can check?
                Did you try checking the log files of the failed boot?
                Try booting with the kernel that does not work, afterwards boot with the kernel that does work.
                Now you should be able to view the log files of the first unsuccessful try with journalctl in the Konsole terminal emulator.
                See man journalctl for options, e.g. sudo journalctl -b -1 -a to see entries for the previous try or sudo journalctl -b -1 -k to see kernel messages for the previous try only.
                Press [q] to exit.​
                Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks, I'm now seeing a few issues. (not all consecutive)

tpm tpm0: [Firmware Bug]: TPM interrupt not working, polling instead
                  device-mapper: core: CONFIG_IMA_DISABLE_HTABLE is disabled. Duplicate IMA measurements will not be recorded in the IMA log.
                  platform eisa.0: EISA: Cannot allocate resource for mainboard
                  platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 1
                  platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 2
                  platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 3
                  platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 4
                  platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 5
                  platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 6
                  platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 7
                  platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 8​
                  blacklist: Problem blacklisting hash (-13)
                  blacklist: Problem blacklisting hash (-13)​

Comment

Great news: as of 6.2.0-31, my computer can now boot normally again. For those of you who were having issues, I suggest you download the kernel update and see if it helps.

Comment

Broken again as of 6.2.0-32.

Comment

Updating my graphics card driver seems to fix the issue permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by shorple View Post
                          Great news: as of 6.2.0-31, my computer can now boot normally again. For those of you who were having issues, I suggest you download the kernel update and see if it helps.
                          Does this Kernel upgrade work with Nvidia proprietary drivers?

Comment

Working...
                          X