Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elisa segmentation fault (ongoing or fresh install)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elisa segmentation fault (ongoing or fresh install)

So it's been months since I haven't been able to use Elisa. Had a segmentation fault as soon as I launched it. And bug reporting procedure is failing because providing the callstack and "do you remember what you were doing when it crashed: yes" is apparently not enough... And it's actually kind of hard to know how/where report a bug related to kubuntu... Don't get me wrong, I'm not being sarcastic. Just pointing that out while I'm posting this one... So it happened to me after an upgrade and first I assumed I had piled up too many upgrades over custom configurations. I surrendered and thought it was time for a fresh install... But it didn't solve it... Then I was blaming my old laptop... It's been weeks and upgrading didn't help. So I went for another web hunt and those posts solved it. https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=468784
    So here I am: trying to upvote/report that bug which seems neither due to elisa or kde.. And I can't think I'm the only one affected. So at the very least, people might find the link to a possible solution. Cheers

ubuntu-bug elisa might help, though it has already been reported. iirc the Ubuntu tool might have shown you this report (maybe?) and maybe also increase the user count for the bug.
    It is a packaging bug, for sure. I have added some 'heat'. People can log in and click the 'this bug affects me' link at the top of the report.

There is a fix - installing the missing vlc library package mentioned in the last comment, or installing VLC proper.
    Last edited by claydoh; Jun 23, 2023, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Does this bug still exist when you enable the Kubuntu Backports for 23.04?
      KDE Gear includes Elisa.

Plasma 5.27.6 available in Kubuntu Backports

​KDE Gear 23.04.2 and Frameworks 5.107 available in Kubuntu Backports
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

claydoh: thank you for the redirection and for pointing that thread. I tried to follow the report procedure but it failed. And I searched several times and in different places, but didn't end up on that thread. I'll know this is the preferred place to go. Re-installing some VLC dependency indeed solved it for me too, as suggested by people on that other thread I mentioned, and as you said.

Schwarzer Kater: I cannot say. When I dist-upgraded, backports weren't there yet. And now I solved it after a fresh install but before adding backports. I would have to purge dependencies and so on to try again, even though I'm not sure I would correctly reproduce the initial failing setup.

Comment

Originally posted by mcar176 View Post
          I tried to follow the report procedure but it failed.
          Which one? Unfortunately there is more than one. KDE's own, and the ubuntu-bug one which is started from the command line but pops open an Ubuntu Launchpad bug report that will still walk through things even without stack traces. I t would have shown either recent bug reports for the package, or ones similar based on your title or description. Haruna has only 2 bug reports in total on launchpad, so I think the bug I found would have been shown.

Comment

I must have used KDE's one. I thinks it's "KDE's crash handler" ? I've got nothing that crashes now to give you a perfect description. I didn't start it from the command line. Just clicked the icon that pop up in the notification area when an app crashed (some sort of pixelized frowning face?), that pop up a modal where you can ask for details and/or report the bug. When clicking the latter you've got 3 checkboxes if I remember correctly (first one being "do you remember what you were doing when it crashed?"), then another screen to grab stack traces, which I grabbed and attached. Then another screen that told be there were not enough information (despite answering and attaching the stack trace) to finalize the report (with the button to continue therefore being disabled)... That's what I meant by I wasn't able to complete the crash report.
            But I understand there are other ones. I agree it's a bit confusing. I'd say not many "average" users will dive into reporting procedures that requires more knowledge and more efforts than searching for solutions to the problem they're immediately facing, especially if they made the effort to follow the procedure they got from the UX path and they took the time to go through a reportt (alert > show more > report bug > answer question & attach details). That's also what I meant by it wasn't clear to me where to look or report kde/elisa/ubuntu/kubuntu/kubuntu backports afterwards... Again, I'm not complaining about it and I appreciate a lot all the work and the contributions sometimes benevolent... and I understand there are many actors involved... I'm familiar with posting decent and hopefully helpful issues on GitHub to give feedback on dev issues, so I'm not lazy about that... I was just adding a source here and forwarding a working solution of a problem I wasn't able to resolve on my own before or find reference to, and I took the opportunity to also mention that so far I had failed reporting it (UX) and that I also had a hard time looking for a solution.
            Thank you for your answers. It's a little bit clearer to me where to post and that different reporting tools are available. That might help because I got Elisa launching, but it's been freezing a few times after awhile
            Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X