X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] system broken after update

intel i7 nvidiaGF116 550ti

I updated my system and OH NO!
    it boots up till the log in screen and freeze completely on a black screen.

I tried booting whith a '3' in grub so it stops before the grapics load, and removed all nvidia files. It works sort of , in 800x600 mode , but when I reinstalls nvidia driver ( 390 version) its back at the same fail, login fails on black screen.
    Not sure how to proceed from here?

system works perfectly otherwise
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 29, 2023, 05:51 AM.

also can add that the live test version of 23.04 works just fine from a usb-stick.
    and log files? no, I cant find anything suspiscius?

Comment

The usb version uses 'nouveau' drivers, with working graphics,

Comment

the 800x600 grapics was maybe because of 'nomodeset' in grub,removed it, HOwever now it get stuck on
        finished snapd.seeded.sevice
        instead

Comment

Started with '3' in grub again,
          sudo snap install hello-world
          aand it downloads 'core' . (from the worlds slowest server)

Comment

no that didnt work. starting with nomodeset worked, and then whithout we get stuck on
            OK Finished snapd.seeded.service - wait until snapd is fully seeded.
            weird, I just ran sudo snap refresh.

Comment

Getting in to the grub menu menu wasnt easy! it doesnt show on boot so I had to hit ESC, however if I hit esc to many times it drops in to a command line instead! quite frustrating.
              I used the live version of kubuntu from a usb stick instaed to edit /etc/default/grub , update-grub did not work on the live version due to a lack of cows!!, anyway managed to hit ESC the right amonut of time to get into grub menu atlast and ran grub-update from rescue-mode.

Comment

In the grub menu I have two kernels too choose from: the new 6.2.0-20-generic and 5.19.0-41-generic . I tried mostly the 5.19 version and can get the system to work, if only in crummy 800x600 mode.
                'e' in grub edits the boot, remove quiet nosplash and tried nomodeset, text, 3, nouveau.modeset=0 .
                3 stops the system before any grapics starts, nomodeset works in 800x600 (sometimes?).

Comment

Doing a reinstallation would be easy, but I dontvwant up that easy just yet, the computer almost works!

Comment

Tried a normal start one more time, it stops again a t blank screen, with a line of text on top of screen, leftover from what was scrolling by when it booted.

Comment

Originally posted by richardVII View Post
                      The usb version uses 'nouveau' drivers, with working graphics,
                      Indeed this may be the crux of the issue in OP. I had that problem too. See here: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...grade-to-23-04

Hope this helps!

Comment

Snapd was probably innocent; it is the last line before the log-in prompt. In text mode it stopsonly briefly befr login shows.

Comment

Victory!! got it workin at last.

what did it was I believe:
                          sudo apt remove --purge nvidia-driver*
                          sudo apt install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

Comment

Working...
                          X