VPN disconeconnects when switching networks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN disconeconnects when switching networks

TL; DR If I am connected to one network and then connect to VPN it works fine, but if I then connect to a different network then the VPN disconnects and tries to reconnect over the new network. I need it to stay "connected" while switching so I can maintain privacy and have mostly-unrestricted browsing using public wi-fi.

I frequently use my school's wifi, since it's free and faster than what I can afford at home. The kicker is that a lot of websites and downloads are blocked (things like .io, gaming, Steam, social media sites, etc.), also they monitor everything you do. To get around this I figured out that all I need to do is connect to a VPN, however, the school's network prevents you from connecting to one.

So I found a solution: first I connect to a VPN using a mobile hotspot then switch over to the school's wifi. Somehow the VPN remains on (this works with Android and Windows 10/11).

But with Linux this does not work because it's like the VPN totally turns off/disconnects between networks and tries to reconnect using the school's wifi, which doesn't allow you to use a VPN...so it doesn't connect...

I've tried using different VPNs (Nord, Proton, Open) and different setup options (Proton's app, Nord via CLI, Nord and Open via configuration files) and even different distros (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, and Mint) but haven't fixed the problem.

Is there anything I can do to replicate the way VPN connections work on Windows and Android? That way it remains on when switching between internet connections.​

Originally posted by Zaphenath View Post
    I frequently use my school's wifi, since it's free and faster than what I can afford at home. The kicker is that a lot of websites and downloads are blocked (things like .io, gaming, Steam, social media sites, etc.), also they monitor everything you do. To get around this I figured out that all I need to do is connect to a VPN, however, the school's network prevents you from connecting to one.
    Ok. good luck with getting help doing that :/

Originally posted by Zaphenath View Post
    the VPN disconnects and tries to reconnect over the new network.
    This sounds like a problem with the provider's software, then, perhaps. It may be worth seeing if they have any forum on knowledge base items on the topic.
    I don't think my provider has this sort of issue, but I have not tested this sort of thing.

Have you considered that Android and Windows may simply be doing automatically what you are doing manually? it may be working, but that doesn't mean it won't be noticed eventually. I am pretty sure the school's network is still connecting to that VPN IP address, and that can't be hidden.

Comment

Working...
    X