This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Doesn't Work

I installed Kubuntu 23.04 on a new Samsung SSD. After the installation everything works fine but I decided to look at driver manager in the kde system settings app. Get into additional drivers. Saw that if I'm not wrong do not use the device was selected instead of using dkms source for Broadcom STA Wireless Driver from broadcom-sta-dkms (proprietary). I selected it and appyl changes. After that restarted the computer and the wireless was broken. Please help me.

How about deselecting it again if everything worked fine before?
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I tried it already. Also tried activating secure boot, deactivating secure boot, I reinstalled broadcom-sta-dkms couple of times, installed broadcom-sta-commons, I removed wireless driver via dkms. All of them didn't work.

Comment

You may need to tether to your smartphone if you don't have an ETH0 connection to the Internet.
        Uninstall/purge your dkms driver, which doesn't work.
        Then use
        ubuntu-drivers
        Usage: ubuntu-drivers [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARGS]...

Options:
        --gpgpu gpgpu drivers
        --free-only Only consider free packages
        --package-list PATH Create file with list of installed packages (in install
        mode)
        --no-oem Do not include OEM enablement packages (these enable an
        external archive) [default: False]
        -h, --help Show this message and exit.

Commands:
        autoinstall Deprecated, please use "install" instead
        debug Print all available information and debug data about drivers.
        devices Show all devices which need drivers, and which packages...
        install Install a driver [driver[:version][,driver[:version]]]
        list Show all driver packages which apply to the current system.
        list-oem Show all OEM enablement packages which apply to this system
        "sudo ubuntu-drivers devices" will show all devices which need drivers ....
        A "*" will be placed in front of the listing of the preferred driver. Install it.

These kind of issues can be avoided by have relevant backups. I use BTRFS as my root filesystem. Before I make any changes I create a snapshot of my system, which literally takes a second or two. If the changes work out well I continue using my system. If things go south I roll back to the snapshot I took prior to making the changes. The rollback takes about a minute or so and a reboot if done manually. If done using snapper or TimeShift it a second to click restore and then reboot.

Or, you can spend hours or days or even do a total re-install to solve your problems.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X