Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get audio to work with new computer[SOLVED](maybe not what you thought)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get audio to work with new computer[SOLVED](maybe not what you thought)

If you want to read to the end you can, but the fix was I installed Debian 12 KDE. Sound works. UPDATE:I installed Kubuntu 23.10 and the sound is now working. I also tried Fedora. The sound worked also, but I really don't like Gnome desktop.
    I guess this Chinese computer is just not that easy to work with.
    Any way, thanks for all of your suggestions.

I have a new computer that has a proprietary MB. I was finally able to get the internet working and now I need to get audio going. Usually it's pretty straight forward, but not with this computer. I've used Ubuntu in the past, but it's been awhile so I'm a newbie with Kubuntu. The reason I'm using Kubuntu with this computer is that it's configured with secure boot and can't be disabled. It was Ubuntu or Red Hat. Now to my problem. I'm guessing I have a driver problem, but have no idea how to find out what driver I need, if in fact I do need a new one. I have external speakers plugged into the audo out port on the computer. When I use Pulse Audio volume control, the status bars show there is audio happening. Just no sound. I am dual booting with Windows 11 and the audio works just fine. Any help with this is very appreciated. Here are my specs:

System:
    Host: Kubuntu Kernel: 6.2.0-34-generic arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.27.4 Distro: Ubuntu 23.04 (Lunar Lobster)
    Machine:
    Type: Desktop Mobo: N/A model: N/A serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends v: CK12V101 date: 08/11/2022
    CPU:
    Info: 6-core model: Intel Core i7-10810U bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache:
    L2: 1.5 MiB
    Speed (MHz):avg: 953 min/max: 400/4900 cores:1: 732 2: 1600 3: 700
    4: 1600 5: 704 6: 800 7: 700 8: 735 9: 751 10: 772 11: 1600 12: 745
    Graphics:
    Device-1: Intel Comet Lake UHD Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
    Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.8 driver:X:
    loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: iris gpu: i915
    resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz
    API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 23.0.4-0ubuntu1~23.04.1 renderer: Mesa Intel UHD
    Graphics (CML GT2)
    Audio:
    Device-1: Intel Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl
    Sound API: ALSA v: k6.2.0-34-generic running: yes
    Sound Server-1: PipeWire v: 0.3.65 running: yes
    Network:
    Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    driver: r8169
    IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: 68:1d:ef:30:a5:6c
    Device-2: Realtek driver: rtw89_8852be
    IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: e0:75:26:6c:01:d7
    Bluetooth:
    Device-1: Realtek Bluetooth Radio type: USB driver: btusb
    Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 state: up address: E0:75:26:6C:01:D8 bt-v: 3.0
    Drives:
    Local Storage:total: 2.29 TiB used: 72.74 GiB (3.1%)
    ID-1: /dev/sda model: FPT330M8SSD512G size: 476.94 GiB
    ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Seagate model: Expansion size: 1.82 TiB
    Partition:
    ID-1: / size: 244.14 GiB used: 23.44 GiB (9.6%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda5
    ID-2: /boot/efi size: 96 MiB used: 59.6 MiB (62.0%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/sda1
    ID-3: /home size: 244.14 GiB used: 23.44 GiB (9.6%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/sda5
    Swap:
    Alert: No swap data was found.
    Sensors:
    System Temperatures:cpu: 39.0 C pch: 37.0 C mobo: N/A
    Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
    Info:
    Processes: 331 Uptime: 3d 18h 42m Memory: 15.49 GiB used: 5.09 GiB (32.9%)
    Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.25

Operating System: Kubuntu 23.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.4
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.104.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.8
    Kernel Version: 6.2.0-34-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-10810U CPU @ 1.10GHz
    Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics​
    Last edited by txtinman; Oct 22, 2023, 10:15 AM.

Originally posted by txtinman View Post
    Device-1: Intel Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl
    You may need to install firmware-sof-signed. It might not hurt to make sure that you have linux-firmware installed as well.

The reason I'm using Kubuntu with this computer is that it's configured with secure boot and can't be disabled.
    Are you sure it can't, or is it locked by your employer?
    The distro is sort of unrelated here, Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the same OS, and both support Secure Boot
    Last edited by claydoh; Oct 19, 2023, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      You may need to install firmware-sof-signed. It might not hurt to make sure that you have linux-firmware installed as well.

Are you sure it can't, or is it locked by your employer?
      The distro is sort of unrelated here, Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the same OS, and both support Secure Boot
      firmware-sof-signed was installed, firmware was not. I installed firmware, but no joy. The Plasma volume control gui recognizes the sound card and shows there is activity.

Secure boot is locked by the manufacturer. I talked with them about it. Can't be disabled.

I only mentioned Kubuntu because I like KDE as a desktop

Comment

Welcome.

You might find some answers here concerning the Intel Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS :
        https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=150196
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Oct 19, 2023, 03:19 PM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          Welcome.

You might find some answers here concerning the Intel Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS :
          https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=150196
          I read through all of that. Most went over my head, but I tried a few suggestions with no joy. I don't believe the OP found any joy either. Maybe Linux can't work with this computer?

Comment

Linux can't work with this computer?
            On 'problematic' systems, often trying out a much more current or bleeding edge distro via a live session is warranted.
            There are more moving parts involved, so the latest kernel, audio stack, and firmware often need to go together.
            For example:
            My Lenovo c13 Chromebook (AMD Ryzen™ 5 3500C) has no audio support before a 6.3 kernel, but it isn't as simple as just getting a new kernel - that is easy. All the other sound related parts also need to be a bit more current as well. I can use Kubuntu on that device now, with 23.10, but that didn't help me about a year ago, so I went with Fedora at the time, which has all the things I need.

Comment

firmware-sof-signed was installed, firmware was not. I installed firmware, but no joy. The Plasma volume control gui recognizes the sound card and shows there is activity.

Secure boot is locked by the manufacturer. I talked with them about it. Can't be disabled.

I only mentioned Kubuntu because I like KDE as a desktop
              Sometimes techs "misconstrue" Secure Boot SHOULD NOT be disabled as CANNOT be disabled, because of Windows.

Have you tried these instructions? https://www.technorms.com/88465/enab...-boot-ami-bios
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post

Sometimes techs "misconstrue" Secure Boot SHOULD NOT be disabled as CANNOT be disabled, because of Windows.

Have you tried these instructions? https://www.technorms.com/88465/enab...-boot-ami-bios
                On this computer there is no secure boot choice in the bios settings. No, they were correct, it cannot be disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  On 'problematic' systems, often trying out a much more current or bleeding edge distro via a live session is warranted.
                  There are more moving parts involved, so the latest kernel, audio stack, and firmware often need to go together.
                  For example:
                  My Lenovo c13 Chromebook (AMD Ryzen™ 5 3500C) has no audio support before a 6.3 kernel, but it isn't as simple as just getting a new kernel - that is easy. All the other sound related parts also need to be a bit more current as well. I can use Kubuntu on that device now, with 23.10, but that didn't help me about a year ago, so I went with Fedora at the time, which has all the things I need.
                  I downloaded an Fedora iso to try. It's one distro I've never tried. I hope it works.

Comment

On this computer there is no secure boot choice in the bios settings. No, they were correct, it cannot be disabled.
                    On some computers, such as my HP laptop, it's hidden behind an admin password.
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

If you want to try a distribution that includes a recent kernel: why not try Kubuntu 23.10 (kernel 6.5.x) and possibly replace your 23.04 afterwards?
                      https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/r...antic/release/
                      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                        If you want to try a distribution that includes a recent kernel: why not try Kubuntu 23.10 (kernel 6.5.x) and possibly replace your 23.04 afterwards?
                        https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/r...antic/release/
                        I'll probably give this a try.

Comment

Working...
                        X