Support for older x86-64-v1 CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support for older x86-64-v1 CPUs

Greetings community, recently i came across a news article on phoronix.com https://www.phoronix.com/news/openSU...weed-x86-64-v2 describing opensuse future cpu requirements (i'm an opensuse user since version 12.1) and because i own several old desktops and notebooks i have checked if they meet the x86-64-v2 requirment (Honestly before reading the article above i was unaware that versions of the x86-64 existed)

Because of this i'm looking for alternatives for my older PCs (however these old PCs have no performance issues running the current version of tumbleweed) The forum search does not show any results regarding x86-64-vX keywords and the ubuntu hardware support page only mentions the x86-64 architecture without any subversions.

Does Ubuntu/Kubuntu have plans to drop support for older x86-64 CPUs like RHEL and SUSE?

No idea.

But, a little later on from that article..... unless something has changed again.

But 15 year old hardware will have less and less support as some things requiring the instruction sets not found on the early 64-bit CPUS become more prevalent. (disc encryption?)

Debian will soldier on, for sure.
    Ubuntu likely would be one of the last major distros to change, if it does.

Comment

Oh... i'm really slow on the news... it is good for older hardware owners, i guess. I'm aware that i will need to upgrade my hardware eventually as OS and software will drop support for it sooner or later, even my aging fleet of PCs and notebooks moved away from 32bit systems some time ago (and the 32bit hardware i own is intended for retro/nostalgia builds) but when i was reading the (mostly) constructive discussion as Dominique Leuenberger​ wrote, i came across a lot of comments claiming the proposal to was not technical but "political" I can only hope it's not true.

Anyway, thanks for the info. If the devs change their mind one again, i will probably move to kubuntu. Actually kubuntu was the first KDE distro i used before moving to opensuse more than a decade ago.

Comment

Working...
      X