Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia AND AMD drivers on same installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia AND AMD drivers on same installation?

I'd like to use the same VM image (KVM passthrough of GPU) for two different GPUs, one Nvidia (old K2000 Kepler Quadro) and one AMD (RX6800). Can I do that? Is it gonna confuse the heck if I boot swapping GPUs or do I need separate VM images for each GPU?

Any gotchas I need to know about please?

You can only passthrough one GPU if one is already used for your host system - either the Nvidia or the AMD.
    What is your host system?
    Is it a VM image with Kubuntu 23.04?

AMD (open source) drivers are always there in Kubuntu and do nothing if you start a system with an NVidia graphics card and additional NVidia drivers.
    On the other hand I have experienced problems several times (but not always and on physical hardware) when I started Linux systems with NVidia drivers installed (and no NVidia card) but the graphics card was AMD.
    You will have to try for yourself.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 21, 2023, 08:38 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
    X