Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low disk space pop up, how to set a different size ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Low disk space pop up, how to set a different size ?

Hi a few days ago my Kubuntu 23 popped up the message that I was running out of disk space, i had the option to change the value for the warning from its default to a different amount i increased it to 5GB. I then to action to delete some files so that I had more than 5GB disk space.

This pop up was very useful, I am about to setup another PC and I would like to also change the default to 5GB, but I cannot find where I should change this value from the default.

Any ideas where I may find this ?

Thanks
    Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 07, 2023, 07:42 AM.

As long as you continue to use EXT4 you'll have to guess about the sizes of the various partitions you'll have to create. How big do I make root? Should /home be put into a separate partition and how about /opt and /var? Over estimate and you've wasted partition space. Underestimate and you'll run out of space and have to save your data, resize 2 or more partitions and then copy the data back over again. Lot of pain.

Or, you can use BTRFS. And, you're in luck! Present on this forum is the Kubuntu resident BTRFS expert, oshunluvr !
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Or perhaps figure out what is causing the low space warning. Partition sizes would be helpful. Is it a dual boot machine, if so how much space is being allocated to Kubuntu.

Eventually, every installation has the opportunity to run out of space.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

On your current computer, look to see if you have the file ~/.config/freespacenotifierrc. If you do, copy it and see what it contains.
        if it shows the 5Gb value you set it to, you can copy over or create the same file on the new system.

[source]

Comment

Thanks Guys, I perhaps didn't explain it to well, I was trying to adjust the warning pop up value, not the disk space, anyway thanks all and claydoh gave me the solution, actually the default is 200mb and looking at that file i had set it to 1GB not 5GB as I had thought, but 1GB is just right as it gives you plenty of warning before the disk is full. I looked on the other PC and that file is not on there, so I will copy that file across and it should then be set to 1GB

An explanation is here https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...unning_out_of/

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
            Or perhaps figure out what is causing the low space warning. Partition sizes would be helpful. Is it a dual boot machine, if so how much space is being allocated to Kubuntu.

Eventually, every installation has the opportunity to run out of space.
            That's true if the capacity of the drive itself is exceeded. A BTRFS installation can only run out of space if the <ROOTOS> subvolume pool is totally allocated. As the use approaches 95% of <ROOTFS> the user will notice a slowdown in disk access, or even warning messages. If that happens then all one has to do is mount another drive of similar speed and add it to <ROOTFS> and then re-balance.

sudo btrfs device add /dev/sdX /

sdX because you are adding the entire drive, not just a BTRFS subvolume. Otherwise it would be sdXn, where n is the BTRFS partition number.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

But, even the mighty BTRFS can't conjure space out of nothing, that was my point
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                But, even the mighty BTRFS can't conjure space out of nothing, that was my point
                True, but even if one added a drive to an EXT4 setup and put it in fstab, it still wouldn't relieve pressure on a partition that is near exhaustion. One would have to do a lot of manual moving of files, adjusting links and entries in Kmenu, etc.... Not a pretty chore. Hence the power of BTRFS!

Comment

Adding a drive is always an option, regardless of filesystem but usually requires an expenditure. Simply managing space is always the better first solution

Comment

Working...
                  X