No announcement yet.

PPA Management - has something changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] PPA Management - has something changed?

I have wine installed and have setup the PPA so it automatically updates but a recent regression prompted me to just downgrade to an earlier version of wine and just turn off the PPA until the issue with wine was resolved. My first course of action was to go to software sources and untick it but it was not there.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230918_092102.png
Views:	135
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	674012
    My next step was to go to Discover and it was not there either
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230918_092224.png
Views:	111
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	674013
    The last thing I could think of was delete the entry in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ which I did (renamed it) but Updates still wants to update wine to the newest version. sudo apt-get update returns: Hit:1 https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu lunar InRelease, so my system still sees the wine PPA.

So I have 2 questions, 1/ how to temporarily disable a PPA (I do not wish to delete the PPA permanently) and 2/ where are entries for PPAs stored now?​

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ is still the location for addon repository listings, nothing has changed there.

Now, if you followed different instruction than the official instructions found on the winehq website, you have likely added their repository information to your main sources.list file, not via a separate file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/.
    (WineHQ's apt repo is NOT a PPA though that is mostly immaterial, the directory and format is not specific to Launchpad's PPAs)

If you look at your actual /etc/apt/sources.list file, or in the main Ubuntu Software section of the Software Sources tool, you will be able to tell pretty quickly if this is what you have.
    There is nothing wrong in using the main sources.list file for this as opposed to a separate repo-specific entry in /etc/apt/sources.list.d, everything will work.

Disabling or even removing a PPA or other external repo information has zero effect on the version you currently have installed, other than you stop receiving updates, unless the official package somewhow becomes newer than the PPA (very unlikely).
    You won't be downgraded back to stock unless you have done so manually (tricky!), unless it is an actual PPA with a separate repo file, where you can then use the ppa-purge command tio both remove and downgrade. One can attempt to try the command with non-ppa sources, if it has a separate file, not from info added to the main sources file, iirc. Doing this with WineHQ is not something I'd try myself (again), and I am a dive-in-head-first sort of person, with my computers.

Winehq are not known for being overly compatible with stock wine packages, so downgrading is likely to be messy, though seeking out and uninstalling all relevant packages sourced from a repo with Muon should allow you to then install the original stuff, after disabling the PPA or repo.
    Last edited by claydoh; Sep 17, 2023, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, in response I would advise I followed the installation procedure at the winehq website and as expected there in no wine entry in /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/apt/sources.list.save and can confirm that the only repositories there are ubuntu repositories. The issue as I stated in my previous post is that winehq-lunar.sources WAS listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ (to indicate the winehq instructions were used) but renaming it winehq1-lunar.sources does not stop updates in the first instance and in the second it was/is not listed in Software Sources nor in Settings - Discover.

Regards the second half of your reply, I am aware of this and it is the reason I want to disable the PPA rather than delete it. For reference, downgrading wine was successful and is a fairly straight forward, 2 step procedure:
      1/
      Code:
      apt policy winehq-devel
      (to list what versions of the development tree are available)
      2/
      Code:
      apt install --install-reommends winehq-devel=8.12~lunar-1 wine-devel=8.12~lunar-1 wine-devel-amd64=8.12~lunar-1 wine-devel-i386:i386=8.12~lunar-1
      ​To, in this case, downgrade wine from 8.14 to wine 8.12.

Last edited by shag00; Sep 18, 2023, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shag00 View Post
        but renaming it winehq1-lunar.sources does not stop updates
        Aaaaaaahhhhhh, you renamed the file for winehq (I should have noticed this earlier..sorry)
        I am going to guess that though Discover and Software Sources won't display oddly named files, expecting a certain format (some-name-of-some-sort.list), apt has no issue reading them

What you need to do is rename the file back to its original one, and then it should be visible in the GUIs. Then you can disable things via graphical tools. Unchecking them merely comments out the apt url line(s) in the file.
        So, if the entry still isn't showing up, you can manually edit the file add a "#" to the beginning of each line that doesn't have one.

Comment

To be honest, wine packaging is a pita in general. I haven't used a distro provided version in ages and ages now,
          When I *have* to use it for something, I use Lutris and/or Bottles, via flatpak. Both of these use 'runners' for standalone, selectable wine instances, so having multiple wine versions and builds doesn't break stuff or require the shenanigans you are going through.
          (iirc the deb version for Lutris does still require a local Wine as a dependency in *buntu at least, the flatpak doesn't, but does pull in a few flatpak dependencies for 32-bit support, DXVK, and other needed things )

I used Lutris installed this way to install and run WoW, in about 10 minutes to disprove all the weird (and outdated) steps and workarounds Wine users were complaining about.
          So, it took me a grand total total of 15 minutes to realize that I really do, in fact, dislike WoW quite a bit.

Comment

Another work round is to remove winehq1-lunar.sources or it's renamed version completely out of /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ which effects the disable status as I wanted. I have a job running atm which precludes me from rebooting but once finished I can reboot and see where I am.

Comment

Working...
            X