Elisa not working (crashes) in 23.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elisa not working (crashes) in 23.04

If you find that Elisa, that nifty little KDE music player, is not working, which is likely, just reinstall or install VLC media player and it will work again.

I'm baffled to have just learned that VLC is like a dependency for Elisa to work!

Alas, I'm glad to see this fixed my problem. Thanks a lot, shag00!

Comment

Actually, Elisa does depend on libvlc5, vlc-plugin-qt, and vlc-bin, not all of VLC itself. Just some small bits of it.

vlc-plugin-qt, and vlc-bin seem to be missing, so there is some package config tweaking they need to make.

Comment

I reported this as a bug here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=469314 They said I should report it to the package managers, but I have no idea how to do that. Will they have picked up on it, since it appears to have been widely noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Danceswithcats View Post
          They said I should report it to the package managers, but I have no idea how to do that.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/elisa-player/+bugs

Will they have picked up on it, since it appears to have been widely noted.
          Yes, it was noted, but only because it was reported. Devs don't always hang out in user forums or Reddit so much
          Last edited by claydoh; May 20, 2023, 03:25 PM.

Comment

This is quite a problem for the normal user. I had exactly the same experience as @Dancewithcats. Most of us don't know who the packages are but int turns out that whoever they are they use the Ubuntu launchpad website and opening a ticket there is something I gave up on after spending 30+ minutes trying to figure out how as it requires an apport report which is a nightmare to try and run in instances like this. I see it as bloody minded, one assumes that the people who say, tell the packagers actually know the system well enough and have the technical ability to quickly tell the packagers of the problem and it is directly related to the product they work on/support.

Then you have another error which asks if you want to report it, you say yes and get to a screen which is all greyed out, another hour to find out why. So in the end it's just to hard.

Comment

Yep, I gave up on bug reporting years ago. I have VLC installed, and I removed the SNAP version of Elisa, installed Flatpak, and install the Flatpak version of Elisa. Still, it does not work. Yes, Elisa now loads, but I want to use a URL for Radio listening, and all I get is a rotating gear upon clicking Radio. My workaround is to install Clementine, which works fine.

Comment

Slightly OT:
                Originally posted by doubled View Post
                […] My workaround is to install Clementine, which works fine.
                Clementine has not been maintained that much for some time now (the last stable release 1.3.1 is from 2016, a release candidate 1.4.0rc2 from 2022) - its spiritual successor is Strawberry (https://www.strawberrymusicplayer.org/).
                Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

@doubled​,
                  from what little I know the problem with Elisa is a packaging problem, that is, not all the the libraries that are needed are installed in Kubuntu. It is possible that if you install the apt/deb version of Elisa rather than the snap or flatpack version it would work. Keep VLC installed as a deb too as this makes all their libraries available system wide.
                  Last edited by shag00; Jul 08, 2023, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X