This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System does not boot with new kernel

There was some good news, the option to upgrade was automatically displayed this morning and it was all done in about 10 minutes and the download speed was a tad under 12 Mb/s which was really good to see. When the installation was complete it prompts to restart the PC and my PC would start the boot process and then stop. Tried it twice. I got the following messages (combined from 2 boot attempts):
    blacklist: Problem blacklisting hash (-13) ----old problem from previous kernel
    Bluetooth: hci0: command 0xfc05 tx timeout
    Bluetooth: hci0: Reading Intel version command failed (-110)
    Bluetooth: hci0: Malformed MSFT vendor event: 0x02 ---- on 2nd boot attempt

Booting into the old 5.9XXX kernel works with no problems although I cannot boot into the recovery mode of the new kernel.

I had a similar problem some time ago and discovered that using an earlier NVIDIA driver fixed the issue.

On the off chance that a different version of NVIDIA might work I tried 5.25 which did work. Problem solved, I can now boot into the version 6 kernel that comes with KDE 23.04.

Comment

Recently when I still had an Nvidia graphics card the 530 driver worked without problems in combination with kernel 6.2.x (openSUSE Tumbleweed and Arch).

Which driver version are you referring to in your original post?
      And from which version of Kubuntu did you upgrade to 23.04?
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 22, 2023, 03:01 AM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

The NVIDIA driver which worked with 22.10 was 5.10 and I upgraded from 22.10.

I have a continuing issue with Ubuntu and NVIDIA drivers and the Ubuntu update system. When a new NVIDIA driver become available it normally works for me and then several months later there are a stack or additional files for that driver version released (Ubuntu, not NVIDIA) which has a good chance of making that NVIDIA driver version not work necessitating a driver version change.

Comment

Especially with Nvidia graphics cards it is a good idea to use the most recent driver version available from your distribution (that supports your card) for the newer kernels.
          That said my experience is that even then you can have issues (completely independent of the Linux distribution…).
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 22, 2023, 04:22 AM.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Well I agree the principle but as I said in my previous post Ubuntu feels it necessary to install a bunch of files for each driver release some months after the driver becomes available which breaks the driver.

Comment

Working...
            X