This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appimage Balena Etcher won't open

i am using Kubuntu 20.10, which has been working fine, but I have discovered a small problem: my appimage version of Balena Etcher won't start. Yes, I have the 'is executable' box checked in the Permissions section. I have the latest (1.7.9) version, but it also doesn't open on the 1.5.120 version, which I have used before with no problems. My other Appimage apllications open without a problem. Any idea on what could be the problem?
  • Answer selected by Snowhog at Nov 19, 2022, 09:03 PM.

For Kubuntu 22.04 I made an alias in my .bash_aliases and start it from Konsole whenever I need Etcher:
    Code:
    alias etcher='$HOME/Applications/balenaEtcher-1.7.9-x64.AppImage --no-sandbox'
    This is a private computer of course…

Comment

I had the same issue. The answer was here. Although I'm using the lates DEB version:

https://forums.balena.io/t/known-iss...mint-21/360557

Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

For Kubuntu 22.04 I made an alias in my .bash_aliases and start it from Konsole whenever I need Etcher:
        Code:
        alias etcher='$HOME/Applications/balenaEtcher-1.7.9-x64.AppImage --no-sandbox'
        This is a private computer of course…
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

OK, I tried the unsandboxing command and it worked. So when I need it again that's what I'll do to get it working--it is, after all, the best program of its kind I've found. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Update:
            Since version 1.13.x the issue with the AppImage of balena Etcher not opening in more recent releases of (K)Ubuntu seems to have been resolved - no more need for starting it in CLI with a workaround by disabling CPU- or general sandboxing.

The current version I use is Etcher 1.14.3 which also is starting without problems from the GUI by double clicking it.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 14, 2023, 04:56 AM. Reason: typos

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Just make sure you give it permission to launch as a program. It also works here without the CLI just click on it and it works. Some installs do need to have
              Code:
              libfuse2​
              installed.
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
                Just make sure you give it permission to launch as a program.
                […]
                You are right, but actually Dolphin takes care of this for you, asks you if you want to launch the AppImage and sets the permission the first time you open it.
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 14, 2023, 05:49 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
                X