This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu 22.10 with RAID 1

I am coming from a Windows background so excuse my ignorance. I have used Intel RST with RAID 1 extensively with Windows, so if one drive failed (which they have), the other one would keep the computer running until the drive could be replaced.

I tried installing Kubuntu 22.01 with Intel RST RAID 1, and while Kubuntu appeared to recognized the RAID volume during installation using Manual Disk Setup, it would not boot to it. it would boot to a prompt "initramfs".

I saw some instructions on installing Ubuntu to RAID when selecting disks manually, but I don't see the same installation options for Kubuntu.

I also saw that LVM also supports its own RAID, but I couldn't determine how to use it for a boot disk.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last time I looked, Intel RST does not support Linux at all.
    I could be wrong, though. That might only relate to NVME drives.

Ubuntu have not added new options or features to Kubuntu's installer in years and years now, so it will be a manual process no matter what.

You may be better off doing as server install , which should have more robust options for this sort of thing, and using a 'real' RAID setup rather than RST I think, then install kubuntu-desktop to add the desktop GUI to it.
    something along these lines:
    https://www.servers.com/support/know...oftware-raid-1

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Last time I looked, Intel RST does not support Linux at all.
      I could be wrong, though. That might only relate to NVME drives.

Ubuntu have not added new options or features to Kubuntu's installer in years and years now, so it will be a manual process no matter what.

You may be better off doing as server install , which should have more robust options for this sort of thing, and using a 'real' RAID setup rather than RST I think, then install kubuntu-desktop to add the desktop GUI to it.
      something along these lines:
      https://www.servers.com/support/know...oftware-raid-1
      Thank you for your reply.

Supposedly, Intel RST is supported by Linux, but I never figured out how one would get it installed for the boot drive. Here is Intel's document on this.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...inux-paper.pdf

Thank you for the Ubuntu server installation document for RAID 1. I know my Linux inexperience is showing here. Once the Ubuntu server software is install, what is procedure for installing Kubuntu Desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael1 View Post
        Once the Ubuntu server software is install, what is procedure for installing Kubuntu Desktop?
        From the CLI you would type: sudo apt update && sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          From the CLI you would type: sudo apt update && sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
          After installing Kubuntu Desktop, do I need to install a Display Manager?

Thank you!

Comment

The display manager SDDM will be installed alongside.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jan 31, 2023, 02:45 AM.
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
              The display manager SDDM will be installed alongside.
              Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X