X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freedom4life View Post
    […]
    Also, I am just limiting the distros to beginner, user friendly and looks more like Windows hence why I chose those 5 to test.
    […]
    Just in case this is something important to you:

Imho both the Cinnamon GUI (Cinnamon is used in Mint's flagship edition) and the Xfce GUI (Xfce is used in MX Linux' flagship edition) look ugly as hell out of the box, but can be themed quite easily to your liking if you wish so.

I think ZorinOS' GUI (heavily modified Gnome) is the prettiest of the bunch you consider but less versatile than the others and of course KDE Plasma in Kubuntu is known to be one of the most (if not the most) configurable GUIs out there…

MATE has more bugs than the other GUIs in my experience and the smallest developer team of the aforementioned GUIs.

Average resource usage: Xfce < KDE Plasma < MATE < Cinnamon < Gnome
    Depending on all the additional "bells and whistles" one uses in the GUI and generally in the system, of course.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 01, 2023, 06:15 AM. Reason: typos and additional thoughts
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      I am trying to use CMD to do this and I do not understand this:

Code:
       VBoxManage controlvm VM name webcam attach [host_path|alias [settings]]
      Under VM name, if I just name is Kubuntu, is it just Kubuntu to type or do we copy the path?
      I don't get
      Code:
       attach [host_path|alias [settings]]

Comment

It could be something like VBoxManage controlvm "YourLinuxVM" webcam attach .1
        It also depends on the hardware you use.

See: https://askubuntu.com/questions/4875...-in-virtualbox

I have not tested it yet, so this is in theory…
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 03, 2023, 02:36 AM. Reason: typos

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          It could be something like VBoxManage controlvm "YourLinuxVM" webcam attach .1
          It also depends on the hardware you use.

See: https://askubuntu.com/questions/4875...-in-virtualbox

I have not tested it yet, so this is in theory…
          This was what I did yesterday:
          Code:
           vboxmanage controlvm "Zorin" webcam attach .1
          This was the result:
          Code:
          VBoxManage.exe: error: Could not find a registered machine named 'Zorin'
          VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component VirtualBoxWrap, interface IVirtualBox, callee IUnknown
          VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "FindMachine(Bstr(a->argv[0]).raw(), machine.asOutParam())" at line 366 of file VBoxManageControlVM.cpp
          What does this mean?​

Comment

Just in case this is something important to you:

Imho both the Cinnamon GUI (Cinnamon is used in Mint's flagship edition) and the Xfce GUI (Xfce is used in MX Linux' flagship edition) look ugly as hell out of the box, but can be themed quite easily to your liking if you wish so.

I think ZorinOS' GUI (heavily modified Gnome) is the prettiest of the bunch you consider but less versatile than the others and of course KDE Plasma in Kubuntu is known to be one of the most (if not the most) configurable GUIs out there…

MATE has more bugs than the other GUIs in my experience and the smallest developer team of the aforementioned GUIs.

Average resource usage: Xfce < KDE Plasma < MATE < Cinnamon < Gnome
            Depending on all the additional "bells and whistles" one uses in the GUI and generally in the system, of course.
            Yeah I watched a few YouTube videos to check out its user interface. Xfce did not look great at all. GNOME User Interface was incredible for Zorin. Even Cinnamon for Mint was not bad. It's not GNOME but it's fairly functional and easy to navigate. Anyway good user interface is always a plus. Why do you consider Zorin less versatile? And in your understanding, what do you mean by easily configurable GUIs?

Comment

[…]
              VBoxManage.exe: error: Could not find a registered machine named 'Zorin'
              […]
              What does this mean?​
              It usually means that your VM's name you want to control from CLI is not "Zorin" - check the name.
              The name is the part before ".vbox" in the machine's directory within your "VirtualBox VMs" directory and at least in Linux the upper and lower case of letters matter -> MyMachine != mymachine
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 03, 2023, 05:31 PM.

Comment

[…]
                Why do you consider Zorin less versatile? And in your understanding, what do you mean by easily configurable GUIs?
                Because Zorin uses Gnome there are a lot of things missing on the surface other GUIs have (to be fair Zorin has already done a good job extending the functionality by adding some so-called "Gnome extensions" and preconfiguring them for the user) - but to name just two simple and typical examples of less versatility compared to KDE Plasma's Dolphin : the missing "split view" in the Gnome file browser and the missing possibility to completely configure the left and top panels to your liking in the file browser.

By "easily configurable" I mean that those GUIs have the built-in functionality to make them look and behave like you want. You have the most possibilities to do so within the GUIs KDE Plasma and Xfce - in Cinnemon it is still OK-ish, but in Gnome you will have to use lots of additional "Gnome extension" (of which you must know) and workarounds.
                For example in KDE Plasma, Xfce and Cinnamon I can change the complete icon set and all fonts within 45 seconds - in "normal" Gnome even this simple task is a hassle (Zorin at least gives you some of these possibilities)…
                That said, with enough knowledge and time you can theoretically make any Linux distribution with any GUI do what you want and look like you want.
                Perhaps you won't miss some of the things you could do (until you see and use them?) as Windows (or macOS) does not let you configure the GUI very much anyway and therefore this might not be important to you.
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 04, 2023, 04:28 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Because Zorin uses Gnome there are a lot of things missing on the surface other GUIs have (to be fair Zorin has already done a good job extending the functionality by adding some so-called "Gnome extensions" and preconfiguring them for the user) - but to name just two simple and typical examples of less versatility compared to KDE Plasma's Dolphin : the missing "split view" in the Gnome file browser and the missing possibility to completely configure the left and top panels to your liking in the file browser.

By "easily configurable" I mean that those GUIs have the built-in functionality to make them look and behave like you want. You have the most possibilities to do so within the GUIs KDE Plasma and Xfce - in Cinnemon it is still OK-ish, but in Gnome you will have to use lots of additional "Gnome extension" (of which you must know) and workarounds.
                  For example in KDE Plasma, Xfce and Cinnamon I can change the complete icon set and all fonts within 45 seconds - in "normal" Gnome even this simple task is a hassle (Zorin at least gives you some of these possibilities)…
                  That said, with enough knowledge and time you can theoretically make any Linux distribution with any GUI do what you want and look like you want.
                  Perhaps you won't miss some of the things you could do (until you see and use them?) as Windows (or macOS) does not let you configure the GUI very much anyway and therefore this might not be important to you.
                  I am trying to say that I want a Linux distro that acts like Windows but I need not to have a huge learning curve and still achieves a huge functionality that I have with Windows. What exactly then do I do on a computer?

Use the Internet (like Brave & Librewolf)
                  Webcam & Microphone for Video/Voice Recording
                  Movie Makers/Video Editors
                  ADB/Fastboot for any edits to make for a DeGoogled phone (Lineage OS or I feel that murena is worth a shot) or any other thing in Terminal
                  A screenshot capability and functionality like Snip & Sketch
                  Use OnlyOffice/LibreOffice
                  An app that can download Youtube, Vimeo videos (Telegram only has YouTube one as far as I know)
                  I prefer my computer to have all the icons at the bottom like Windows. It's easier and more intuitive. I'm not a Mac dude although I can adjust if I had to use one.

Out of all of these, is there anything that say Zorin or Mint or Kubuntu or MX Linux or Ubuntu MATE that won't make these functions intuitive for me to navigate?

I figured GNOME uses up a lot of resources and memory compared to Cinnamon or Xfce.

Sorry I have been busy and couldn't create to respond

Comment

[…]
                    Out of all of these, is there anything that say Zorin or Mint or Kubuntu or MX Linux or Ubuntu MATE that won't make these functions intuitive for me to navigate?[…]
                    No. And you can install nearly any program for Linux in any distribution one way or the other, if needed.

LinuxMint and ZorinOS are probably the closest to a "just works" distribution for someone coming from Windows.
                    But know that due to the nature of ZorinOS you will probably have to rely a good deal on Flatpaks there.

Kubuntu is the best of them all (Snaps aside), of course (could not resist…), but if you don't want to use Kubuntu I think Mint or Zorin can both be good choices - one (Zorin) being the a bit more conservative choice than the other (Mint).

And for someone coming from Windows a distribution based on Ubuntu can be the easier way to go than one with a Debian base (like MX Linux), imho.

PS: It is very good that you inform yourself about the different Linux distributions and try several of them out, but don't overthink it either!
                    You can always back up you data and "jump ship" if the Linux distribution you chose cannot fulfill your needs (anymore).
                    Many people have tried many dozens of distributions over time and also changed their "main" distribution from time to time.
                    For example in the late 90s I used S.u.S.E. Linux (now called openSUSE), which is my third choice only nowadays.
                    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 12, 2023, 06:09 AM. Reason: added PS, typos

Comment

No. And you can install nearly any program for Linux in any distribution one way or the other, if needed.

LinuxMint and ZorinOS are probably the closest to a "just works" distribution for someone coming from Windows.
                      But know that due to the nature of ZorinOS you will probably have to rely a good deal on Flatpaks there.

Kubuntu is the best of them all (Snaps aside), of course (could not resist…), but if you don't want to use Kubuntu I think Mint or Zorin can both be good choices - one (Zorin) being the a bit more conservative choice than the other (Mint).

And for someone coming from Windows a distribution based on Ubuntu can be the easier way to go than one with a Debian base (like MX Linux), imho.

PS: It is very good that you inform yourself about the different Linux distributions and try several of them out, but don't overthink it either!
                      You can always back up you data and "jump ship" if the Linux distribution you chose cannot fulfill your needs (anymore).
                      Many people have tried many dozens of distributions over time and also changed their "main" distribution from time to time.
                      For example in the late 90s I used S.u.S.E. Linux (now called openSUSE), which is my third choice only nowadays.
                      Thank you for your suggestions and thought processes for your suggestions. Snaps/Flatpaks I have seen and heard from different distro groups to be an issue, as they tend to be bloated or not readily updated or some issues with installation of apps. I think most distros have like a Synaptic Manager where we manually download preferred apps. But I'll save that for later.

I don't really mind whether something comes with a lot of pre-installed apps or not. In most cases, I just delete the ones I don't need. For example, on Windows, each time I have a new computer, the first thing I do is literally disable all the telemetry and the bloated apps that can be deleted. I'm not foreign to doing a bit of customization to make things work for me. On a distro, it's even easier, they allow m drag and drop unlike Microsoft.

Comment

Hi. I have been busy and stressed so I could not update you on what is going on. However, I decided that I'll go with Mint. It has so much potential to be customized, and I do not want to do something just because it must look like a Windows carbon copy and some other reasons.

Comment

Working...
                        X