Arrow keys not working in Konsole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Arrow keys not working in Konsole

Hi, I'm running zsh as my login shell with Kubuntu.
    Up until recently there were no problems besides a few oddities with the Dolphin shell integration.
    However today I realized that arrow keys no longer work meaning that I can't navigate terminal applications that use menus of any sort (or text editors) and can't get at my command history.
    Instead the letters ABCD are printed (but without the ^[ you usually see in sh.
    Code:
    echo $SHELL
    does return /bin/zsh as expected.

I tried starting bash to see if my problem was zsh related but they don't work in bash either.
    Nano shows "unsupported sequence" when trying to use the arrow keys to navigate through a file.

I have tried reinstalling zsh with no success.

As for the origin of this problem I am at a complete loss. I did recently try out wayland (which seems to have caused a whole lot of problems) but am firmly back in X11 territory.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.10
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.25.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.98.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.6
    Kernel Version: 5.19.0-35-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor
    Memory: 31,3 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2
    Product Name: B550 Phantom Gaming 4​
    Last edited by Dav-Kubuntu; Mar 08, 2023, 03:09 AM. Reason: Added Version infos.

What does
    Code:
    echo $TERM
    say? Mine says TERM=xterm-256color

If you run cat -v and press up, down, right, left, do you see "^[[A^[[B^[[C^[[D"?
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Hi John,

this is what I see.

Without the ``cat -v``part I only get the letters themselves.

Comment

I have figured out what the problem was. It appears that an application kept resetting my keyboard layout.
        I had suspected this and did manually set the correct layout before posting here but had no success.

Missing <> keys were what eventually tipped me off and got me to re-check my keyboard layout. Et voila it had changed again.

After turning off a number of background programs I found and eliminated the offender.

Thank you for your help so far.

Comment

Oh, and which application was the culprit (so other people will have it easier to eliminate it)?
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

(I have the keyboard layout widget in every panel, in the hope I'll notice. I occasionally need lots of greek letters.)

I guess those key sequences are intended to support shift, ctrl and alt arrow combinations. For example, ctrl-alt-up is ^[[1;7A. In this scheme the second "1" means no modifier. These "modifier-keys" are a relatively recent addition to the ancient (1970s) terminfo/ncurses set up, so I'm not surprised that bash and zsh don't know about them out of the box. It should be possible to concoct a bunch of zsh bindings to make them work if you have to.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Dav-Kubuntu View Post

After turning off a number of background programs I found and eliminated the offender.

Thank you for your help so far.
              The world is waiting with baited breath! The offender was ...?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X