panel problem and question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

panel problem and question

I have recently re-installed 22.10 due to a hard disk death, and now that it is installed I have one problem and one question. The problem is that the Firefox icon and the Konsole icons won't launch the programs anymore--they did at first, but may have been borked when I added the Backports ppa and downloaded all the new stuff I had before. I can still run these from launcher, so it's not fatal, but I like having them on the panel and would like to use them there. Any ideas how I can make them work again? I did delete them and install them again, but no luck. All the other panel widgets work except for these two. The questions I have concerns putting a widget in the panel which would allow me to open Waterfox without having to open the file and searching for the executable icon (labeled simply Waterfox), which takes about as much time as opening a Snapped Firefox. I tried copying it directly using the mouse, but that didn't work. Is there a way to transfer this icon to the panel? And if so, is there a way to change its appearance?

Remove their icon from the Panel. Launch the application. When it’s running, right click its icon on the Panel and click on Pin. Exit the application. Its icon will remain on the Panel. Double click the icon. It should launch.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How are you adding the icons?
      I usually 'pin' then --right click on the item in the menu or favorites, or from the taskbar entry from the running application.

Normally, pinning from the running application should work best. I have seen pinning from the favorites work less well (it can sort of lose its 'connection' to the the actual application), and pinning from a direct menu item should work.
      Firefox's icon getting broken could be explained by it being a Snap, but really, that should not happen or others would be complaining on the internet about it far more often. And it would not explain Konsole at all.

A more drastic thing might be to ditch your task manager from the panel, then re-add one, or possibly to ditch the entire panel and re-add a new one and start from scratch, if something is borked in its configurations.

Comment

I followed the instructions and now both Konsole and Firefox icons work. Thanks. I still can't get the execute Waterfox icon onto the panel, however. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

So, when waterfox is running, you can't just right click on the taskbar entry , and pin it from there?
          If you are running this directly from a download, and not something that is actually installed, you probably want to create a menu entry for it. Right click on the menu icon and find the menu editor.
          The GUI is pretty straightforward, and Waterfox should have an icon file in its download somewhere you can use.
          Then you can treat it like any other installed application.
          Last edited by claydoh; Feb 16, 2023, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Yes, that did it. Waterfox's icon file only has an updater icon, but that doesn't matter. First time I've ever played around with the start menu like this. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X