Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does systemd-gpt-auto-generator work on Kubuntu Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does systemd-gpt-auto-generator work on Kubuntu Linux?

Several operating systems are installed on a GPT disk with multiboot, including EndeavorOS, MX Linux, Kubuntu, and Windows 10. On EndeavorOS, the swap partition is mounted at boot time using the systemd service. On Kubuntu, on the other hand, the automatic mounting is in the fstab file. My question is, is it possible, and if so, how, under what conditions to mount the swap partition using systemd-gpt-auto-generator?

The systemd-gpt-auto-generator man page says
    on systems where the units are explicitly configured (for example, listed in fstab(5)), the units this generator creates are overridden, but additional implicit dependencies might be created
    so I take that as a yes to your question. All the mounting is being done by systemd units anyway.

IMO if you've got that many distros you'd be better off using one btrfs for them all. I won't go back to juggling partitions and space.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Actually, my question was, why doesn't (K)ubuntu use this feature by default on GPT disks when installing instead of automounting of swap partition ín fstab?

Comment

Probably partly because Debian doesn't, and there isn't enough reason to do so?
        What would be the reasons for this, other than "The Other Guy Is Doing it"?

More likely this simply would involve re-writing the installer (ubiquity) which is quite ancient. Which ubuntu is doing in 23.04. Who knows if Kubuntu will see a version of it.
        Also, as the default install uses a swap file, and not a partition, it seems logical that the installer simply isn't equipped to handle systemd-gpt-auto-generator since it is not designed to?
        It is purposefully simple and basic, for better or worse.

Also take into account that Endeavour/Arch and Fedora are the guinea pigs or the canaries in the coal mines here. They hammer these things out a bit before other might consider adoption.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Probably partly because Debian doesn't, and there isn't enough reason to do so?
          What would be the reasons for this, other than "The Other Guy Is Doing it"?

More likely this simply would involve re-writing the installer (ubiquity) which is quite ancient. Which ubuntu is doing in 23.04. Who knows if Kubuntu will see a version of it.
          Also, as the default install uses a swap file, and not a partition, it seems logical that the installer simply isn't equipped to handle systemd-gpt-auto-generator since it is not designed to?
          It is purposefully simple and basic, for better or worse.

Also take into account that Endeavour/Arch and Fedora are the guinea pigs or the canaries in the coal mines here. They hammer these things out a bit before other might consider adoption.

That's why the installer didn't automatically mount my swap partition during the installation, because it expected a swap file instead of the partition.
          I know that in such cases the rolling release distributions play the role of guinea pigs when some new function should be introduced in contrast to the more traditional one.​

Comment

Originally posted by zoli62 View Post
            That's why the installer didn't automatically mount my swap partition during the installation, because it expected a swap file instead of the partition.
            In Ubuntu's simple partition tools on their installers, if you use manual setup options, you need to manually assign an existing swap partition as such, though I might be wrong on this. it *might* see and offer pre-existing swap partitions in this case.
            I can't recall for sure on this one. The last few installs I have done have been on new drives, and I don't dual-boot very often any more.

Any automatic installs will set up and use a swap file, and not even look for anything else.

Comment

When I've done *buntu manual installs, ubiquity would find swap partitions on two drives and mark them for use as swap. A slight nuisance because I'd have to remember to unmark one.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                In Ubuntu's simple partition tools on their installers, if you use manual setup options, you need to manually assign an existing swap partition as such, though I might be wrong on this. it *might* see and offer pre-existing swap partitions in this case.
                I can't recall for sure on this one. The last few installs I have done have been on new drives, and I don't dual-boot very often any more.

Any automatic installs will set up and use a swap file, and not even look for anything else.

I remember only after a while after installation, I noticed that there was no active Swap partition. I had to write it in the FSTAB file afterwards. Probably the installer will only automatically attach the SWAP partition if there is no other operating system next to Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                X