Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which graphics card? Answered to my satisfaction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which graphics card? Answered to my satisfaction.

I have a problem that has been discussed earlier, but not as regarding hardware. I have found a way to live with it, so I want to leave it for the time being.

The problem is, at least partly, that the secondary monitor is not running well towards Kubuntu. My guess is, part of the problem is that # 1 Lenovo) is top resolution 1440x900, whilethe second (Benq) has as top resolution of 1920x1080. That is, # 1 is 16:10 and # 2 is 19:9.

The graphics card present in tne PC is ATI Radeon HD 4770. I have (form another PC, now "dead") a MSI Geforce GT 710.

My question is:

Will using the latter have any influence of the prolem I am experiencing?

Or, put in another way:

Are there issues with the one of these over the other?
    Last edited by nilsA; Dec 01, 2022, 02:00 PM.

I *think*, that though the GT710 may be much newer, it might not be as capable in terms of higher resolutions at normal screen refresh rates compared to the multimedia focused 4770

You will probably want/need to use the driver manager to install the proprietary drivers for the 710 to be useful. You might need to do some settings tweaks with their included config tool. But it might just work fine, being a well known, fairly common/popular card in its day. But I have a feeling with two monitors, the 4770 is likely to perform better.

BEFORE you switch, if you have not tried yet, do try logging in to a Wayland session. It does handle monitors with different sizes, and particularly refresh rates better than X11. it should be an option on the bottom left of your login screen.
    if not, you will need to install the package plasma-workspace-wayland, but you *should* already have it installed. Wayland doesn't play well with Nvidia drivers at all, particularly with the older versions that support your 710. So I do not recommend this with that card. But you can easily try it, and it is a simple log out to go back to X11.

The AMD should have no issues at all. Or very few, depending. I could well be wrong, as this old card uses a different free driver from the more recent cards.

Does your motherboard/CPU combo have an onboard graphics card? This could be another option, plugging one in to that, and the other into the GPU, at least for comparing single and multiple screen performance differences.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 10, 2022, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      I *think*, that though the GT710 may be much newer, it might not be as capable in terms of higher resolutions at normal screen refresh rates compared to the multimedia focused 4770

You will probably want/need to use the driver manager to install the proprietary drivers for the 710 to be useful. You might need to do some settings tweaks with their included config tool. But it might just work fine, being a well known, fairly common/popular card in its day. But I have a feeling with two monitors, the 4770 is likely to perform better.

Thank you - this "warning" will make me keep the grapohics card that is in the PC. This is exactly the kind of advice I want and need!

Comment

[QUOTE=claydoh;n666582]

BEFORE you switch, if you have not tried yet, do try logging in to a Wayland session. It does handle monitors with different sizes, and particularly refresh rates better than X11. it should be an option on the bottom left of your login screen.
        if not, you will need to install the package plasma-workspace-wayland, but you *should* already have it installed. Wayland doesn't play well with Nvidia drivers at all, particularly with the older versions that support your 710. So I do not recommend this with that card. But you can easily try it, and it is a simple log out to go back to X11.

/QUOTE]

By "The AMD" I assume you mean what I call the ATI Radeon HD 4770?

I installed the Wayland - and the PC just stopped loading after login, seemingly shutting out all the peripherals. Only way to restart was the "big red switch" as we used to call it back then. But really, I am fine. Just hoping the next update will play fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA View Post
          By "The AMD" I assume you mean what I call the ATI Radeon HD 4770?
          Yes, since Ati now is AMD, and I gets confuseded. It was worth a shot, but the Ati's (radeon) driver is not the same as the current AMD cards' (amdgpu) driver.

Comment

Working...
          X