Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Ho create a desktop link to launch application

Hi to all!

I've installed successfully by terminal libreoffice7.5.

I launch it by typing "libreoffice7.5" in terminal and it works well.

How I can add a shortcut on desktop and into bottom application panel?

regards

Originally posted by mikele83 View Post
    I've installed successfully by terminal libreoffice7.5.
    How, exactly?

Normally, you just drag the icon from the Application Menu to the desktop or the panel, or right-click on the task manager entry.

If you have multiple entries for Libreoffice there, for different versions, you may want to right-click on them and choose 'Edit' to find out which one is the correct version you want.
    Last edited by claydoh; Feb 24, 2023, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      How, exactly?

Normally, you just drag the icon from the Application Menu to the desktop or the panel, or right-click on the task manager entry.

If you have multiple entries for Libreoffice there, for different versions, you may want to right-click on them and choose 'Edit' to find out which one is the correct version you want.
      Hello and thanks for you time!

I've installed 7.5 manually (sudo dpkg -i *.deb) because it is not avaible from kubuntu app store (it is present but old 7.4 version)
      So I can launch it by terminal typing simply "libreoffice7.5"
      If I try to search it into application menù I don't find it!

Comment

There are multiple sources for 7.5 - Snap/Flatpacks, as well as PPA repos.
        These are probably better, since you won't need to manually look for and manually install every new update.

It seems you manually downloaded debs from Libreoffice's website? Those should have made menu entries, I'd think.
        Maybe they don't? Could be a bug in their packaging. Or they do not trigger the system to rebuild the entries. Have you logged out since installing this? It might be worth trying.

You can also create ones yourself, if you want to, by right-clicking on the application menu icon. I think these needed to be able to pin an app, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          There are multiple sources for 7.5 - Snap/Flatpacks, as well as PPA repos.
          These are probably better, since you won't need to manually look for and manually install every new update.
          ok i will try

It seems you manually downloaded debs from Libreoffice's website? Those should have made menu entries, I'd think.Maybe they don't? Could be a bug in their packaging. Or they do not trigger the system to rebuild the entries.
          YES! exactly but no menu entries made.

Have you logged out since installing this? It might be worth trying.
          yes but problem remains

You can also create ones yourself, if you want to, by right-clicking on the application menu icon.
          tryed but the application is not found I think these needed to be able to pin an app, etc.

Comment

tryed but the application is not found
            You just need to find where the command libreoffice7.5 is located. Usually /usr/bin/ or similar, but there are many places it could be.

But you can find out where:
            Code:
            which libreoffice7.5

Comment

Or you could create your own .desktop file "by hand" in Kate, name it e.g. "libreoffice7.5-startcenter.desktop" and put it into ~/.local/share/applications/ (or into /usr/share/applications/ if you want to make it available for all users on your computer).

Here is a rough example - feel free to play around with it (e.g. do what claydoh said to be sure to have the right path to the executable):
              Code:
              [Desktop Entry]
              Version=1.0
              Type=Application
              Exec=libreoffice7.5 %U
              Name=LibreOffice 7.5 Start Center
              GenericName=Office
              Comment=Launch applications to create text documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, formulas, and databases, or open recently used documents.
              Categories=Office;
              Icon=libreoffice-startcenter
              MimeType=application/vnd.openofficeorg.extension;x-scheme-handler/vnd.libreoffice.cmis;x-scheme-handler/vnd.sun.star.webdav;x-scheme-handler/vnd.sun.star.webdavs;x-scheme-handler/vnd.libreoffice.command;x-scheme-handler/ms-word;x-scheme-handler/ms-powerpoint;x-scheme-handler/ms-excel;x-scheme-handler/ms-visio;x-scheme-handler/ms-access;
              StartupNotify=true
              Terminal=false
              NoDisplay=false
              X-GIO-NoFuse=true
              StartupWMClass=libreoffice7.5-startcenter
              X-KDE-Protocols=file,http,ftp,webdav,webdavs
              X-AppStream-Ignore=true

##Define Actions
              Actions=Writer;Calc;Impress;Draw;Base;Math;

[Desktop Action Writer]
              Name=Writer
              Exec=libreoffice7.5 --writer

[Desktop Action Calc]
              Name=Calc
              Exec=libreoffice7.5 --calc

[Desktop Action Impress]
              Name=Impress
              Exec=libreoffice7.5 --impress

[Desktop Action Draw]
              Name=Draw
              Exec=libreoffice7.5 --draw

[Desktop Action Base]
              Name=Base
              Exec=libreoffice7.5 --base

[Desktop Action Math]
              Name=Math
              Exec=libreoffice7.5 --math

##End of actions menu​
              PS: Due to the tedious "update work" one normally has with a manually installed .deb I would also rather recommend that you use e.g. a Flatpak or a trustworthy PPA like suggested above if you absolutely do need the most recent version of LibreOffice :
              https://flathub.org/apps/details/org...ce.LibreOffice
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 24, 2023, 02:15 PM. Reason: added PS
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                Or you could create your own .desktop file "by hand" in Kate, name it e.g. "libreoffice7.5-startcenter.desktop" and put it into ~/.local/share/applications/
                Which what using the menu editor is doing, graphically

Comment

Yes, yes, yes - but why take the easy way if there is a hard one!
                  Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                  Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

• oshunluvr
                    oshunluvr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ROFL. You sound like me...

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                  Yes, yes, yes - but why take the easy way if there is a hard one!
                  We are running Kubuntu here, not Gentoo......

Comment

Hello guys. With your help and suggestion I resolved the problem!

Thanks very very very much!!!!

Comment

I launch it by typing "libreoffice7.5" in terminal and it works well.
                      (I see that the OP's problem has been resolved , but reviewing the thread I can't see this simple solution in one place, so for others that find the thread...)
                      1. find where your command is coming from:
                        Code:
                        $ which libreoffice7.5
                        /usr/bin/libreoffice7.5
                      2. in dolphin, navigate to that file
                      3. drag it onto the panel
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                      X