Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does KDE Plasma 5.27 support desktop shortcuts still?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does KDE Plasma 5.27 support desktop shortcuts still?

I'm not running Kubuntu 22.10. But there's a question that's been bothering me for a while now does KDE Plasma 5.27 still support desktop shortcuts? Sorry I know this for support but I use desktop shortcuts regularly. And I'm just trying find if KDE Plasma 5.27 and beyond still does or not support desktop shortcuts?

Yes, it does...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230218_082612.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	668562
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Do you mean "desktop shortcuts" in the sense of "shortcuts" to e.g. applications, directories (like your $HOME directory) or simple files?
      Yes, you can still use them in Plasma 5.27.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Of course it does

22.10 doesn't come with 5.27, anyhoo. 23.04 will have it, in April. It should be available in 22.10 via PPA fairly soon, I think, for those who want it.

Plasma still has two different desktop 'layouts'. The default is the 'folder view' that allows files, folders, and widgets on the desktop. Shortcuts are just files, so they do work.

There is the 'desktop' layout, which used to be the default one from KDE 4 up until quite recently, which only allows widgets, so instead of 'shortcuts', it would be using an launcher widget to show an icon for an application. But no files or folders.
        You switch between the two layouts via the right click menu on the desktop, under "configure...."
        This is sort of being eventually dropped, since one can just.....not put files and folders on your desktop -- which is actually your ~/Desktop directory, accessible from Dolphin as well.

They have done some tweaking, and there are some minor changes on the right-click desktop menu, but in no way have shortcuts to whatever been removed or anything.

What Plasma 6 will bring, I dunno. That is a long way off. I doubt that this will go away, since they have done so much work in this area in recent years.

Comment

Thanks everyone for helping me with this question. Anyway I use a custom launcher for Firefox on my desktop (for Firejail Private Home profile) besides files.
          And yes I know there's Firetools but I want to use that for the default profile for FJ Firefox and I use FJ PH for when I'm surfing the web (can never be to safe).

Comment

Working...
          X