Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

superscripting and subscripting of numbers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    superscripting and subscripting of numbers

    Hey there,

    is there a possibility to superscript or subscript numbers in a text in any program by keyboard? Like this: x2 or H2O.

    #2
    Maybe you're asking for a compose key? In system settings, input devices, keyboard, advanced tab, position of compose key, I have it set to "Pause", as I don't otherwise use it. Then, if I type
    pause, ^, 7 I get ⁷, and pause, _, 8 I get ₈

    I'm not sure the best place to f8ind the sequences, but I look at /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose.
    Regards, John Little

    Comment


      #3
      In what context are you doing this? I know it can be done in LibreOffice Writer, but I'm not sure about elsewhere. In LO Writer, you can type "H2O" and then highlight the 2 and hit Ctrl+Shift+B to make the 2 a subscript. Then for X squared, you can write "X2" and then highlight the 2 and hit Ctrl+Shift+P to make that 2 a superscript. It sometimes works if you cut and paste that elsewhere. I'll do it here: H2O. X2

      However, it does not work to cut and paste it everywhere. I looked around in Kubuntu's settings at System Settings ===> Input Devices ===> Keyboard ===> Advanced, which is where I set up a system of putting accent marks on characters, as in "Café", but I'm not finding a way to do superscripts and subscripts. Maybe it's there and I'm just not finding it.
      ​
      Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
      ================================

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
        In what context are you doing this?
        ​
        Possibly excepting input methods (I know nothing about them), any keyboard input. As long as the font has the characters, the compose key makes them. I tried lots, LibreOffice, konsole, dolphin (typing a new file name), kate, knotes... Only kcalc didn't work (but Qalculate! does, 22² = 484).
        Regards, John Little

        Comment


          #5
          Thanks for your answers.

          LO is not the problem, I'm looking for something not being dependant of the program used. So the thing with the compose key sounds good.​

          Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          Maybe you're asking for a compose key? In system settings, input devices, keyboard, advanced tab, position of compose key, I have it set to "Pause", as I don't otherwise use it. Then, if I type
          pause, ^, 7 I get ⁷, and pause, _, 8 I get ₈
          I tried to use caps lock as compose key. Your code for "⁷" is working but the one for subscripting does not. I use a german keyboard and layout, so the "_" isn't reachable without using caps.
          I couldn't figure out yet how the working of the compose key is configured, is there a list of codes or can I edit this?
          Last edited by sebigbos; Aug 27, 2024, 12:42 AM.

          Comment


            #6
            I'm confused by the fact that /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/ exists, but /usr/share/X11/locale/de_DE.UTF-8/ does not.

            However, maybe a ~/.XCompose will do the job. I have compose t u to give me 👍:
            Code:
            include "%S/en_US.UTF-8/Compose"
            <Multi_key> <t> <u>    : "👍" U1F44D # THUMBS UP SIGN​
            I just added
            Code:
            <Multi_key> <s> <2> : "₂"
            ​
            logged out and in, to restart X11, and compose s 2 gives me ₂. ("s2" is the RFC1345 mnemonic for subscript 2, or so the vim help tells me.) To get the appropriate characters in the first place, you could copy lines from /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose, from the "Superscripts and Subscripts" section.
            Regards, John Little

            Comment


              #7
              Hm, I'm not sure wether I got that right. I copied my /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/compose to ~/.XCompose​ . Then I tried to change the entries there, So for example

              Code:
              <Multi_key> <underscore> <0>            : "₀"    U2080 # SUBSCRIPT ZERO
              to

              Code:
              <Multi_key> <SOMETHING ELSE> <0>            : "₀"    U2080 # SUBSCRIPT ZERO
              For <SOMETHING ELSE> I tried <q> (because it's nearby the ^), <dash> or <hyphen> or <-> (because this is the key where caps _ is located) and some other letters but nothing happens. Superscripting with compose ^ ² is still working though.

              Do I have to activate or load the ~/.XCompose somehow?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by sebigbos View Post
                Do I have to activate or load the ~/.XCompose somehow?
                It is read at the DE startup, so you have to log out.

                Regards, John Little

                Comment


                  #9
                  so I did but nothing happens

                  Comment

                  Users Viewing This Topic

                  Collapse

                  There are 0 users viewing this topic.

                  Working...
                  X