KDE Connect no longer connects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] KDE Connect no longer connects

When I upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 to a Note 20, I quit using Airdroid/Web Airdroid to get my photos from my phone to my Kubuntu PC. I switched to KDE Connect, and it worked great. It was easier to use than Airdroid. However, it has quit working. I believe it happened after an update. If I run KDE connect on my Kubuntu PC, it doesn't see my Note 20; and if I run KDE Connect on my phone, it doesn't see my computer. I'm not sure why it quit working. Previously, it connected and stayed connected as long as I was in reach of my wifi. I googled around some, but didn't find a solution, and some of the solutions I was reluctant to try because they were from very old posts. I do have an alternate method which is to upload a photo to my Mega.nz cloud and the download it to my computer, but that's not anywhere near as quick and easy as KDE Connect when it works.

Did the updates somehow sabotage my KDE Connect? I really miss it. I could take a photo, and then just go into KDE Connect on my phone and just tap it to upload. It's great when it works. You guys know how I can get this thing re-connecting? I'm hoping it will just autoconnect when I'm at home like it was doing before.
    Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Jun 17, 2024, 09:40 AM.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

IME KDE Connect is finicky on the Android side. Some of the permissions set up I only find out about once, when installing KDE Connect on android. So, I suggest reinstalling KDE Connect on the phone.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I haven't had issues with KDE Connect in a while, but on occasion, after an update to the app or on the desktop, something can break. The fix that seems to work is to unpair on both the phone and dedktop, and re-pair. It may also be helpful to clear the app's storage to completely reset it. I think it may have to to with security keys or hashes changing, or something along those lines.

Android permissions changes have gotten in the way a bit since A10 but in A13/14 it isn't quite as bad. You still seem to need to create a subfolder for files, and the clipboard sharing is better, though you still have to manually send that, as opposed to it being automatic. In my pull-down notifications area I move the Send-clipboard option so it is visible at the half-pull.

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys. Uninstalling and reinstalling on my Note 20 did the trick. That had been so simple, I hadn't even thought to try that before. I didn't uninstall with Google Play. I did it with an uninstaller app -- not sure if that made any difference, but now this thing is working, so I'm happy.
        Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
        ================================

Comment

Working...
        X