Discover hangs after re-install of 22.04 Jellyfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Discover hangs after re-install of 22.04 Jellyfish

I am a new user of Kubuntu. I downloaded the latest version about a month ago and installed it. Everything was going fine for a few weeks. I noticed Flatpak has some APs I wanted, so I enabled it. Still no problems. I was enjoying the system.

Note I am a political on-line activist, and occasionally my system gets hacked, or appears to be. A few days ago, the system stopped communicating with the internet. I couldn't get any application to work on-line. After trying for hours to figure what happened such as the connection icon [said connected to wired connection 1] , reboots, [etc.] I resorted to a re-install of the Kubuntu iso. I tried to save /home by not formatting it again.

The re-install worked fine, and the system was communicating again. The system alert said updates are available [including an upgrade], so I clicked [update all]. Discover ran to about the 60% point and stopped. I waited. No messages came out for many minutes [at least 20 or 30]. I am patient to a point, but I need a confirmation that something is working. So, I clicked the update button in the bottom left corner.

Three messages quickly flashed to fast to read. I "think" I saw something like "version doesn't match". I also saw some alert messages in separate dialogs reminding me that certain updates are done during a restart - and I did several over the last day.

So, that is the current status of the updates.

I turn the system off at night. This morning, it booted up in the same condition, Discover wanting to do updates, but quickly getting stuck.

How do I get Discover running again?
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 15, 2024, 01:58 PM.

Welcome.

---
    --> Addition: Perhaps check first if your Discover works properly with Flatpak enabled in 22.04 and without both Kubuntu Backports PPAs… - last time when I checked "vanilla" 22.04 it did not.
    Please see How to enable Flatpak in Kubuntu 22.04 LTS !
    ---

Generally to get more information about what goes wrong it would be best to use the Konsole terminal emulator to update.

--> Open Konsole from your --> Application Launcher --> System and enter​:

sudo snap refresh && sudo systemctl daemon-reload (to update the Snaps)
    flatpak update (to update the Flatpaks)

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade (to update the "traditional" programs and the system itself)

For the commands with sudo your administrator password is required (only the first time if you enter commands with sudo sequentially).
    You will see no feedback of your input when entering your password in Konsole - if you want to change this see the "Bonus" section of Essential and strongly recommended things to do directly after a Kubuntu 24.04 LTS installation (this part is valid for 22.04 LTS, too).

Post any errors from the output in Konsole here in CODE tags (paste "without formatting"!) or QUOTE tags and we will try to help you as good as we can.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 11, 2024, 04:13 PM. Reason: addition
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks for the response BK.

During further various attempts to get Discover running, a reboot finally indicated an update was taking place by the slider bar. I believe this happened when I removed the [upgrade] option choice. Once the system booted, the [updates] now show up in an orange sign in the bottom left. It says [Update 3]. When clicked, the orange button turns blue, and the three options displayed are the ones that had errors before. The [upgrade] choice does not show anymore. I don't care about these options which are:
      1. Circle Clock
      2. Deepin 2022 Dark
      3. bicolor widget weather
      So, I marked updates as [none]. I suspect those three were connected with the upgrade that I turned off. I am not sure where this stands, but Discover seems to be running now.

I am going to make this as SOLVED, and see how things go. I may be back if necessary.

Comment

Just for the sake of completeness: the three things you listed are third-party widgets and possibly an icon set you downloaded from Pling/the "KDE Store" - either with Discover or with the "get new widgets/icons" options.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

THANKS. I realized I forgot the solved. I came back to do it, and saw you did it for me.

Comment

Well, I didn't - one of the nice admins here did.
            And you are welcome.

Comment

Working...
            X