Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin or Samba issue?

Hi

After a recent update I have noticed that Dolphin is no longer reporting (in the bottom right-hand corner) the amount of free drive space available for any network SMB shares that I have mounted. It is now showing either just the zoom slider, or else if I select a local drive and then change to a SMB share, it keeps reporting the free drive space for the previously selected local drive.

This is happening on two different computers with Kub 22.04, and it doesn't matter if the SMB shares exist on a remote Kubuntu PC or Windows PC.

I mount the SMB shares via an entry in /etc/fstab using cifs and they seem to be working as normal, so it is just the behaviour in Dolphin that appears to have changed.

According to my apt history log, an update on 30 March included various Samba packages changing from 4.15.13+dfsg-0ubuntu1.5 to 4.15.13+dfsg-0ubuntu1.6

Has anyone else noticed this? I am wondering if I should try to rollback the changes to the Samba packages.

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.0-102-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11

Thanks
    TRobo

Update:

I checked on my laptop PC (this a third PC I have with Kubuntu 22.04 installed) which I had not updated since 06 April and I found that Dolphin was correctly reporting the free drive space for network SMB shares, even though Samba 4.15.13+dfsg-0ubuntu1.6 was one of the updates that was installed that day. I backed up the laptop PC and then did another update today, and now I find that the laptop PC also has the issue with Dolphin.

Through a process of elimination (checking apt history of updates and comparing to when I first noticed the problem on my desktop PC), I found that it was the kernel update to Linux 5.15.0-102-generic that appears to be causing the problem. I booted my desktop PC ​via grub into the previous kernel version Linux 5.15.0-101-generic and I found that Dolphin was again correctly reporting the free drive space.

Anyone else here notice this?

Where should I report this?

Thanks
    TRobo

Comment

Oh, I see now that this is impacting more than just Dolphin:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1509...01-generic-and

And bug report and details of proposed fix for next kernel update here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/2060780
      Last edited by TRobo; Apr 12, 2024, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Good catch!
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
        X