Problem with Firefox after upgrading to 22.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Firefox after upgrading to 22.04

I upgraded my system to 22.04 just recently and everything is working fine.

My only problem is with Firefox. I can see my tabs, bookmarks and history but all of my add-ons have completely disappeared.

I read somewhere that after every upgrade Firefox creates a new profile that sometimes does not include the add-ons so I used my backup profile and replaced my profile folder, wrote into the existing profile folder and and even completely replaced the whole Mozilla folder

None of these actions gave me my add-ons back and the weirdest thing is, I can see tabs I opened two days ago after the upgrade when I'm using my backup Profile from last week.

I don't understand how this is even possible unless Firefox is not reading the profile folder on Home and is taking it form someplace else that I'm not aware of

Can someone help with this please?

When you upgraded to Kubuntu 22.04 LTS, Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) replaced Firefox with the Firefox Snap.

One solution can be to install the "traditional" Firefox additionally to or instead of the Firefox Snap, e.g. with a script: Script to install traditional Firefox

Afterwards you should be able to use (up-to-date) plug-ins again and to use your Firefox profile that resides in the .mozilla/firefox/ directory.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 07, 2024, 08:04 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Before I take your advice to install Traditional Firefox instead of Firefox snap I have a question about the snap version

I don't really understand why Firefox Snap is worse than traditional Firefox.
      For me, the only problem is that I can't get my add-ons back.
      From what you say, it seems like Firefox Snap stores the profile folder in a different location. So my question is, If I find out where this location is, can I just replace the profile folder with my backup folder and solve my problem the way I always used to do with traditional Firefox ?

Comment

Originally posted by ronshor View Post
        From what you say, it seems like Firefox Snap stores the profile folder in a different location.
        See https://askubuntu.com/questions/1414...e-the-profiles
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, but before I try this, does anybody here know whether this can work with Firefox snap the way it works with traditional Firefox ?

Comment

Just backup your old .mozilla/firefox directory and then follow the instructions that Snowhog linked to - you will see if it is sufficient for you and if the plug-ins you use work (the way you want them to).

If this is no solution for you, you can still install the "traditional" .tar from Mozilla.org to /opt additionally to or instead of the Firefox Snap (by hand or with the script).
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 10, 2024, 05:29 AM.
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
            X