Installing non-snap version of FireFox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing non-snap version of FireFox?

How can I install the non-Snap version of Firefox in 22.04?
    Greg
    W9WD

You can use this script: https://gitlab.com/scripts94/kubuntu...tional-firefox (also see my signature)

And I strongly recommend to use the Firefox from Mozilla.org ( choice [1] ) - not the one from the Mozilla Team PPA! The Mozilla Team PPA will be removed from the script in the next main version.
    Installing Firefox from Mozilla.org is also what Debian suggests, if you want to replace or complement the Firefox ESR in their systems.
    It will work without or with the Firefox Snap additionally installed and it will work without problems when you upgrade your Kubuntu to the next release (e.g. from 22.04 to 23.10 - and I have just begun testing it with Kubuntu 24.04…).
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 30, 2024, 09:10 AM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thank you!
      I'll give it a try.
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        You can use this script: https://gitlab.com/scripts94/kubuntu...tional-firefox (also see my signature)

And I strongly recommend to use the Firefox from Mozilla.org ( choice [1] ) - not the one from the Mozilla Team PPA! The Mozilla Team PPA will be removed from the script in the next main version.
        Installing Firefox from Mozilla.org is also what Debian suggests, if you want to replace or complement the Firefox ESR in their systems.
        It will work without or with the Firefox Snap additionally installed and it will work without problems when you upgrade your Kubuntu to the next release (e.g. from 22.04 to 23.10 - and I have just begun testing it with Kubuntu 24.04…).
        I know it is OT for this thread (too lazy to find the correct one )
        But, have you seen Mozilla's own apt repo?
        https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-distributions

I have been using it since it was announced, pretty much, replacing the existing apt pins and PPA used in neon.
        Otherwise, what is wrong with Mozilla-run PPA? I assume it may go away, now that Mozilla have their own. A bonus for Debian fans and ChromeOS users (via the Linux "container") for sure, stuck with the ESR version.

fwiw, the packaging and binaries are virtually identical between the two, and even important binaries and other files from the self-contained package have identical sizes, last I looked. I think the actual content of all the different packaging is pretty much identical, other than the delivery method.
        Compile once, package it for x-number of systems.

Comment

A litle tiny bit OT:
          Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          I know it is OT for this thread (too lazy to find the correct one )
          But, have you seen Mozilla's own apt repo?
          https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-distributions
          […]
          I have seen and tested it, thanks.

The problem remains the same as with the Mozilla Team PPA: it is an external repository that will be removed by the next release upgrade process (e.g. if one wants to upgrade Kubuntu 22.04 LTS to Kubuntu 24.04 LTS in late summer/early autumn)…
          -> I was wrong with the above - it will not be removed by the next release upgrade process (if you have kept Snaps), see my next post!
          You won't have any problems, if you install Firefox from Mozilla.org to /opt (like choice [1] in my little script does).
          This way (and by putting the .desktop file with a reasonable Name entry in /usr/local/share/applications/ ) it will also cause no conflicts with an installed Firefox Snap (which is important for Ubuntu Flavors).

I think it would be a good thing, if KDE neon (and perhaps TUXEDO OS and Linux Mint, too) would use Mozilla's repository instead of the Mozilla Team PPA or their own ones.
          But that is a discussion for another time and place…
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 30, 2024, 04:01 PM. Reason: correction

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I think it would be a good thing, if KDE neon (and perhaps TUXEDO OS and Linux Mint, too) would use Mozilla's repository instead of the Mozilla Team PPA or their own ones.
            They may, since this one is fairly new..

it is an external PPA that will be removed by the next release upgrade process
            It didn't happen in neon -they moved to the PPA *before* the base upgrade. But, I am sure they modified the upgrade tool maybe to deal with it?

In any case, the Mozilla repo is NOT a PPA, I am not sure if manually added external repos are disabled or not, along with the launchpad specific ones.
            Proper apt pins files iirc *should* be able to prevent the snap deb from returning, even if the repo is disabled along with PPAs

I may test this, if I get bored tomorrow, and there is no work for me.

Comment

[…]
              In any case, the Mozilla repo is NOT a PPA, I am not sure if manually added external repos are disabled or not, along with the launchpad specific ones.
              Proper apt pins files iirc *should* be able to prevent the snap deb from returning, even if the repo is disabled along with PPAs
              […]
              I corrected my wording above.

And I just tested it with Mozilla's repo (again, because I could not remember the exact outcome/results…).
              You were right - the Mozilla repo is not removed from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ , but this doesn't change the general outcome for me:
              1. If I had removed Snap functionallity before (either by hand or with my get rid of Snap script) and had installed Firefox from Mozilla's repos instead of the Firefox Snap :
                -> after reinstalling Snap functionality and the Firefox Snap (either by hand or with my reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script) I again had to upgrade the system before I could upgrade to the next Kubuntu release.
                This reinstalled a fake Ubuntu Firefox package for me and removed the Firefox from Mozilla's repository completely from /usr/lib/
                -> after the sucessful release upgrade I could run the get rid of Snap script again and reinstall Firefox from the Mozilla repo - which is not removed from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ during the release upgrade
              2. If I had not removed the Snap functionality and additionally installed Firefox from Mozilla's repos to the Firefox Snap :
                -> The Mozilla repo is as user friendly as installing Firefox from Mozilla.org to /opt .

So installing Firefox from Mozilla's repository is no better option for me as I had a little bit additional work when the Snap functionality (and the Firefox Snap) was removed and reinstalled.
              My scripts take (and soon "took", because I will remove this) care of Firefox from the Mozilla Team PPA, automatically remove some stuff before the release upgrade, install placeholder files and reinstall the Mozilla Team PPA and Firefox from there after the release upgrade…​

But why install Firefox from the Mozilla Team PPA at all?
              One gains absolutely nothing compared to installing Firefox from Mozilla.org to /opt and it is more work before and after upgrading Kubuntu to the next release version or when you want to additionally use the Firefox Snap
              Installing from the Mozilla's repo is a much better solution, but depending on use case not quite as easy and hassle-free for me as using the Firefox from Mozilla.org in /opt .
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 30, 2024, 04:08 PM.

Comment

It didn't happen in neon -they moved to the PPA *before* the base upgrade. But, I am sure they modified the upgrade tool maybe to deal with it?
                They probably did modify it, because I have tested it countless times with the Mozilla Team PPA and Kubuntu - and there it gets removed…
                That is why these overly complicated parts in my scripts exists…
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 30, 2024, 05:52 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

I did run the above scripts and did download the non-Snap version of FF.
                  But now I am at a point where I need to install the new version of FF but I'm not sure how to proceed.
                  What do I do now?

Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

Did you choose the one from Mozilla.org?

Then open the "hamburger menu" -> Help -> About Firefox and you will see.

For the version from Mozilla.org you can set the update behaviour in "hamburger menu" -> Settings

PS: To be honest I am not quite sure if I understood what exactly you were talking about - where do you need to install the new version? Are you in the process of running the script or have you already installed Firefox?
                    A screen shot would be best.
                    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 30, 2024, 04:21 PM. Reason: added PS

Comment

I did download the deb version of FF.
                      I extracted it and I can see it with Dolphin in the Home area. It is there but it has not placed a way to start it.
                      I can go into it and start it by clicking on FF but there is no way to start it from the "Internet" section.
                      I have it running now so I can post this question. I just need to get it going.

Hope this makes sense.
                      Greg
                      W9WD

Comment

There is no "deb version" in my script, so I suppose you used something else…

-> Otherwise write the exact steps you have done, please (and if you have you chosen [1] or [2] in the script and what the exact name of the Firefox in your Application Menu is?).

Comment

I downloaded the current version from the FF web page. It is version 124.0.1 (64-bit)
                          Greg
                          W9WD

Comment

I guess I am looking for a widget (launcher) to put on the task bar.
                            Last edited by GregM; Mar 30, 2024, 05:23 PM.
                            Greg
                            W9WD

Comment

Launch it, then right-click on the icon and ‘pin’ it.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X