When can I expect Kernel 6.8 to arrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When can I expect Kernel 6.8 to arrive?

I read that Linux Kernel 6.8 is suppose to be available for Ubuntu systems. But I haven't seen any sign of it yet I'm currently running Kernel 6.5. When can I expect Kernel 6.8 to arrive?

In Kubuntu 24.04 LTS when it has been released 2024-04-25…

Or use the daily builds until then if you like to test pre-releases and betas.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 12, 2024, 06:22 PM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

On 22.04, never.
      On LTS, the kernel does get upgraded every 6 months for a bit, until the next LTS arrives. 24.04 LTS will have the newer kernel, but I don't think that 22.04 will get that at all.
      The documentation doesn't explicitly state this anywhere, but going back with all previous LTS since they added HWE, none appear to have had any kernel version from the next LTS.
      But 24.04 arrives next month, so it can be one upgrade away....

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        On 22.04, never.
        On LTS, the kernel does get upgraded every 6 months for a bit, until the next LTS arrives. 24.04 LTS will have the newer kernel, but I don't think that 22.04 will get that at all.
        The documentation doesn't explicitly state this anywhere, but going back with all previous LTS since they added HWE, none appear to have had any kernel version from the next LTS.
        But 24.04 arrives next month, so it can be one upgrade away....
        So whats the lifespan of the 6.5 kernel?
        And oh yeah I misread that OMG article, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
          So whats the lifespan of the 6.5 kernel?
          It will be supported for the rest of Ubuntu LTS 5 year lifespan, as is the original 5.15 kernel.

If you look at the Kernel release schedule chart on the page and filter for 20.04 as an example, you can see how it usually goes. The orange bars are the normal support spans.

Comment

Obviously some people on here are playing with the 6.8 Kernel at the moment on Kubuntu 23.x - but I'm not sure I would go advising that you install it. Unles you have the latest hardware that won;t work with Kernel 6.5 - or some sort of KDE inspired Death Wish (like me) It is probably a waste of time.
            That said, I've had no issues with it so far. But that doesn;t mean I won't . . . My hardware on that particular machine is about 14 years old ! So it really doesn;t matter what I break.:

Comment

Of course one can compile or install nearly any kernel in any Linux distribution (and it may work flawlessly or not) - but I have to emphasize that your example is no kernel 6.8.x that has been released with Kubuntu 22.04 or 23.10 for the average user
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 14, 2024, 05:19 AM. Reason: typos/additions
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                Of course one can compile or install nearly any kernel in any Linux distribution (and it may work flawlessly or not) - but I have to emphasize that your example is no kernel 6.8.x that has been released with Kubuntu 22.04 or 23.10 for the average user

Which was sort of the point I made about:
                ', , , I'm not sure I would go advising that you install it. Unles you have the latest hardware that won;t work with Kernel 6.5 - or some sort of KDE inspired Death Wish (like me) It is probably a waste of time.
                That said, I've had no issues with it so far. But that doesn;t mean I won't . . . My hardware on that particular machine is about 14 years old ! So it really doesn;t matter what I break.'

You can make anything hit anything with a big enough hammer - and a bit of oxy!
                Last edited by rossdv8; Mar 14, 2024, 04:10 PM. Reason: words - only words . .

Comment

Working...
                X